If you are on an assistantship for the Spring 2014 semester please get registered today so that your paperwork can get completed.
- Tara Piraneo will be taking her final MS oral exam on Nov. 19 (Tuesday) at 10:30 AM. The WECN dial #: 5708523. Her seminar was done on Oct. 30. A draft copy of her thesis will be available on the Entomology Sharepoint site.
- Carmen Castillo Carrillo is scheduled to take her PhD preliminary exam on November 20 (Wednesday) beginning at 1:00 PM in FSHN 164. (WECN info to come)
- Ryan Rayl will be taking his final MS oral exam on Nov. 21 (Thursday). His seminar is at 2:00 PM in FSHN 354 and his exam will begin at 3:00 PM in FSHN 164. (WECN info to come)
Payroll Services is publicizing their new procedure for online grad payroll deductions. Graduate students will receive emails tomorrow to announce and invite them to use the new procedure. This upcoming spring semester, students will no longer come to Payroll Services to sign an authorization for payroll deduction but will submit an online request through zzusis. The zzusis link will be ready to use tomorrow. The new online request allows the student to log into zzusis and submit a request in many cases BEFORE their appointment is in DEPPS. The request form, authorized by the student’s electronic signature via network ID, will be printed out that night and sent to Payroll Services. Payroll will maintain an appointment database updated daily with appointment information from DEPPS. Once the student’s appointment is in place with proper funding, we will post payroll deductions to the student’s account
Advantages of the online grad deduction authorizations:
- The student can submit their authorization anywhere they have internet access.
- No more lines or waiting at Payroll Services
- They don’t have to wait for their appointment to be updated in HEPPS
- In most cases, correct tuition rates and fees are automatically presented on the form depending on the campus in which they were admitted.
- No more need to fax or email forms to branches or research stations
- Staff hours are saved in Payroll Services since we will no longer be helping over 700 students each semester
The Entomology Colloquium on Wednesday, Nov. 20 will be Jeremiah Busch, Asst. Prof., Sch. of Biological Sciences. His talk is titled: The Evolution of Floral Traits When Cross-Pollination is Costly. For more information about Dr. Busch go to: http://sbs.wsu.edu/faculty/?faculty/148 or http://sbs.wsu.edu/labs/buschlab.html .
The Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources (CSANR) Biologically-Intensive Agriculture and Organic Farming (BIOAg) program is soliciting grant proposals. Please view the whole RFP >> more here. Proposals are being accepted for project grants, planning grants, and outreach/extension curriculum grants. Applications will be accepted by electronic submission. The goal of this proposal solicitation is to engage a broad, interdisciplinary spectrum of WSU faculty in projects that further the development, understanding, and use of biologically intensive and/or organic principles, practices, and technologies to improve the sustainability of agriculture and food systems in Washington State. In addition, BIOAg funding is used to meet three objectives: to stimulate new research initiatives, to augment critical gaps in existing areas of knowledge, and to move existing, game-changing research out into the real world. Please view the RFP for deadlines, additional information, instructions and application forms. Letters of Intent for project grants are requested by Nov. 22.
We are pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for SARE Professional Development Program (PDP) mini-grants for hosting ($800 max) or attending ($500 max) professional development events. For hosted events, the primary audience must be Extension educators or other agriculture professionals. For more information about the SARE PDP program and for application instructions, please view our PDP page at: http://csanr.wsu.edu/pages/SARE_PDP. Applications will be screened Dec. 15, Apr. 15, and Aug. 15, or until funds are exhausted.
The Registrar’s Office will be closed from December 24th through January 1st in observance of Washington State University’s closure of all non-essential business operations. During this time, the Online Transcript Ordering System (transcripts.wsu.edu) will be available for students to submit transcript requests.
Dangerous malware CryptoLocker holds personal data ranson
A nasty new strain of malware, CryptoLocker, is circulating on the Internet. The dangerous, malicious computer software encrypts your personal data files (word, PowerPoint, pictures, music, videos, etc.), rendering them useless and inaccessible. The only recovery option has been to pay a fee or ransom for a key to unencrypt the files and return the machine to full functionality. Information Services at Washington State University emphasizes that this malware is not known to have infected any university resources. This announcement is designed to help avoid potential infection(s). For more information please go to: http://news.wsu.edu/2013/11/08/dangerous-malware-cryptolocker-holds-personal-data-ransom/#.Un08xJHTmfA or contact Jim Buscher firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sustainable Agroecosystems Entomologist, Univ. of Maryland, College Park
- Asst. Prof – Extension Entomologist, Texas A&M, Corpus Christi, TX
- Postdoctoral Research & Extension Assoc., Univ. of Florida, Immokalee,FL
- Associate Entomologist, SC Johnson Insectary, Racine, WI
Events – Save the Dates:
WSU Commencement is scheduled for Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM the Beasley Coliseum. Line-up is scheduled for 9:30 AM. For more info go to http://commencement.wsu.edu/fall/schedule/.
Entomology Graduate Student Association (EGSA) meeting are scheduled for every other Tuesday beginning August 27. The WECN dial number is: 5706857
The Entomology Colloquium this semester will be on Wednesdays at noon in FSHN 354. The WECN dial in for all sites is: 5706970. This number will be the same for all colloquium presentations.
73rd ANNUAL PACIFIC NORTHWEST INSECT MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE
January 6 & 7, 2014, Hilton Hotel , 921 SW 6th Ave , Portland, OR 97204-1296
503-226-1611 or 800-445-8667 See attachment for full details. Students are encouraged to participate. [/textblock][/column][/row][/section]