2015 EGSA Meeting Minute Archive

12/9/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - December 9th, 2016 Faculty meeting updates.—Courtney

  • The faculty discussed fixing the wifi internet upstairs.
GPSA updates.—Eli and Karol
  • Survey in this spring, and we should all participate.
    • It’s important for our health insurance and graduate student benefits.
  • Affiliate funding
    • More competitive this year and awards were based mostly on outreach.
    • EGSA received $585
      • $200 for the Insect Expo
      • The rest of the money can be used for other outreach events
      • We didn’t get funding for Student Choice Speaker.
      • In the spring we need to fill out a justification spreadsheet.
    • This change in how GPSA funds us will mean adjusting how we fund speakers.
      • We can no longer fund the entire BUGGS event.
      • Fortunately, Dr. Ali hotel and per diem will be paid for by the Entomology Department.
        • We only have to pay for his flight (about $800).
        • We need to be more frugal. We need to stop paying for breakfasts/dinners that people don’t attend.
  Merchandise committee update
  • Honey Sale
    • We sold out.
    • We found out that we need to sign up via Cougsync, fortunately we got everything straightened out.
    • A “Honey Sale Protocol” needs to be set up for next year.
      • This can be posted on the EGSA Cougsync.
      • Since GPSA can no longer fund speakers, the Honey Sale should be used to generate funding for these kind of events.
    • Bug Sex Calendar
      • Send bug sex pictures to Jake.
      • The calendars will be sold at the 2016 ICE.
    • Koozies
      • Eli saw lots of schools selling koozies at the ESA conference.
      • Maybe we should buy more of those?
    • Table cloth
      • The table cloth is designed and just needs to be purchased.
      • The cost is appx. $185.
      • Karol says we have enough money for it and should buy it.
    • Send any merch ideas to Jake.
    • Working budget
      • Jake and Joseph are going to begin a new working budget.
Advertising committee
  • Honey flyers were put up in time.
Outreach committee updates
  • Future outreach events.
    • We need to make a list of all the events we want to do in the fall.
      • This list needs to be submitted by April.
        • Alix, could you help with this?
      • We should also consider some new outreach events since this is now what the GPSA is focused on funding.
    • Insect Expo
      • Change the format so everyone has their own table.
        • We can each talk about our own research.
          • 3 minute elevator speaches
Constitution revision- Joseph
  • ¾ of the participants have submitted their revisions.
    • Waiting on 1 more person.
    • Then they will present to the club.
Social media updates- Rachel
  • Recently, we made a new FB group but it should have been a page.
    • Rachel is fixing this.
      • She made a page.
      • She will delete the group.
      • Everyone needs to like the new page and share it.
Student choice speaker update by Karol
  • Think about what kind of things you want to get out of this experience.
  • We should consider alternative ideas for the social events.
NEXT MEETING AGENDA
  • Cougsync training with Karol.
  • Discuss the future of the Outreach Committee
  • Discuss Dr. Ali’s visit
    • Vote: getting rid of the dinner and breakfast, or finding an alternative.
 

Visit the website

10/28/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - October 28th, 2015

Dec 9th: last meeting this semester Robert is our interim president. Courtney to Meg: Are there American Girl Dolls in Canada?  Insect Feed: Went great! We got crunk on mead.  Affiliate Funding
  • Eli & Karol: got Affiliate funding in. Will put together a worksheet on how to do it next year. Anyone in the RSO club can submit funding request. It is a conflict on interest for a GPSA budget committee member to submit the funding request. We asked for $1,500 and it will go directly to our account. They are making us track what we spent our money on and how many people show up to the events.
  • Constitution committee: will write GPSA funding rules into constitution.
Honey bottling
  • Eli is heating the honey.
  • Need two to three people for filtering. Will take 2 to 3 hours. Philip will assist.
  • Rachel and Courtney volunteered to help with bottling.
  • Do we have EGSA labels for the honey bottles? We need to find a weird box thing with labels in it.
PCEI
  • Email Robbie if you want to help with event.
Bioquip Bugs
  • Talked to Brent about getting pupae at the appropriate time so they will emerge during our events.
  • For some insects you need a permit and for some you don’t. Helpful to have a permit if you need anything more exotic than Darkling beetles. Can’t transport certain arthropods across state borders w/o permit, including some native insects.
  • Eli: maybe we should do a trial run and get more common insects the first year.
Faculty Meeting Update
  • Change from 34 to 15 credits for PhD students is going into effect in a few weeks
  • Change your password or you will be locked out of your WSU accounts
  • AMS in 164 is being fixed
  • Talking about updating the entire AMS system for the department b/c it is 3 years old.
GPSA Updates
  • Nov 12th Strategic Planning Community Forum in the Junior Ballroom. FREE FOOD!
  • Presidential Debate Night Tonight at Rico’s.
  • Karol has a cool power point on where all the university finances go
  • Graduate tuition waivers- we might not get as robust a tuition waiver for fees in the future because they have been scalping us in the past and now it is going back to how it used to be
  • GPSA is collecting personal stories from graduate students to send to senators. Topics: student loans, research funding, international visas, access to documents..
Merchandise Community
  • Caleb is designing the tablecloth and it is looking better every day.
  • Nobody has asked Jake for honey bottling money yet.
  • Select a target date for honey sales for before the holidays
BUGSS Reception
  • Everything went well and Wyatt Hoback had a good time. He really liked that he got a chance to talk to everyone.
  • Jenny thinks the location and the room was good but the catering wasn’t worth the money
  • Consensus that the food was not that good, but it was way cheaper than Black Cypress (about half as expensive)
  • Not able to mingle with different people as easily at Black Cyprus
  • If we plan further in advance we could book a private room at Swilly’s
  • Jake: we have lots of things we want to do and we may not have as much money as we think
  • Alix: could ask faculty to chip in on funding
CAHNRS Program
  • We can get another $500 if someone is willing to attend a meeting twice a week.
Student Choice Speaker
  • Jared wants to arrive March 8th, do colloquium on the 9th, and do a public event on the 10th and leave on the 11th
  • We need to think about different options that showcase the best of Pullman
  • Need a travel authority thingy for speaker. Ask Jane.
  • Use CTA card to purchase flight through the school after the TA is approved
Advertising Committee
  • Need honey sales advertisements
Outreach Committee
  • Robbie is contacting the Pullman public library to talk about reading days
Constitution Revision
  • Ongoing
Social Media
  • Send Rachel insect feed pictures
Wenatchee Beekeepers
  • Doing a half-day symposium next semester
  • They will provide a van, housing, and meals
    [/textblock][/column][/row][/section]

Visit the website

10/14/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - October 14, 2015

Dial in:  5709990 for all sites Phone: (509) 335-9445, Meeting ID 09990  
  • Upcoming Events
    • Honey bottling updates
    • Stay alert. This could happen at any time.
    • BUGSS Fall 2015 – TOMORROW!
      • Talk in FSHN T101 at 4pm – reception at the Hilltop to follow
      • One open meeting spot left.
      • If you can RSVP for the reception on the itinerary, that would be great.
    • PCEI Insects of the night – October 30th at 5pm
      • Robbie is sending PCEI a list of what we are doing.
        • If you have any ideas for crafts or fun projects let Robbie know and he will incorporate your idea into the plan.
      • If you have more suggestions, send them to Robbie by Friday. That is when Robbie will be ordering them.
        • Megan A sent suggestions of bugs to buy.
        • Alix emailed Bioquip to ask if they have any live insects for sale that aren’t listed online.
      • Email Robbie if you want to participate in this event.
    • The Insect Feed is also October 28 at 11am, Ensminger Pavilion.
      • We need volunteers. Setup starts between 10am-10:30am. Afterward volunteers will be working in shifts.
 
  • Faculty Meeting Updates – Courtney Grula
    • The next meeting is Oct 23
 
  • GPSA Updates – Eli Bloom and Karol Krey
    • There is a presidential Debate Oct 28 at Rico’s
      • Costume contest, dress as a president and get entered for a chance to win $20 on your Coug Card
    • Affiliate funding opens October 19-30
    • 5K to remember president Floyd Oct 17
    • National “Message Your Congress Person” day Oct 14
    • GPSA passed a vision statement and mission statement
    • GPSA voted in favor in giving President Floyd an honorary PhD degree
Dean. Dr. Andrefsky talked about a bunch of issues that grad students are dealing with.
  • He is super cool and is a great resource if you need help.
  • A bill is going to Congress that will allow free access to federal research.
 
  • EGSA Committees – Reports?
    • Merch committee
      • Table cloth(s) costs
        • It will cost $150-200
        • Templates are being drawn up
      • Send pics for the insect sex calendar!
    • BUGSS committee
      • Reception is at the Hilltop – catered and all!
    • Advertising committee
      • Thank you for advertising for Wyatt’s talk!
    • Outreach committee
      • Do we know what critters we want?
      • Purchase!
    • Constitution revision
      • Ongoing updates soon
    • Social media
      • Send photos of events
 
  • Student Choice Speaker – Jared Ali
    • Confirmed yes – working on dates
    • Are there any dates we need off limits?
      • Besides spring break
      • Ecology Society of America Meeting
      • Email any other scheduling conflicts to Alix
 
  • Alix will be in Sweden January-May
    • We need to discuss how we want to handle her absence.
    • Perhaps Robert will serve as interim president.
 
  • Reminders:
    • Entomology Colloquium: Wednesdays at 12:10 pm in FSHN 354.  Please attend!
  If you have any ‘Entomology News,’ email Dory at dory.lohrey-birch@wsu.edu.   If you would like a topic or event included in the agenda for the next EGSA meeting (October 14th) please email Alix at alix.crilly@wsu.edu

Visit the website

9/30/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - September 30th, 2015

Minutes for Sept 30 meeting, typed up October 1 by Megan Asche Dial in:  5709990 for all sites Phone: (509) 335-9445, Meeting ID 09990  
  • Upcoming Events
    • Potluck – October
      • No updates
    • Honey bottling
      • Jake is working on it.
    • PCEI Insects of the night – October 30th at 5pm
      • Robbie let them know we would be involved.
 
  • Upcoming Minneapolis ESA Meeting
    • Our Linnaean Games team is in need of another competitor!
    • $300 of travel funding available
      • Jake and Jenny both said they might join the team.
 
  • Faculty Meeting Updates – Courtney Grula
    • No updates… but Steve said, “Thanks for the honey.”
 
  • GPSA Updates – Eli Bloom and Karol Krey
  • Oct 9 is free bowling
  • Affiliate funding is opening Oct. 19th
  • Applications for student regent representative are due March
  • GPSA wants you to “like” their Vox populi FB page. This FB page is going to become a primary resource for upcoming events.
  • The GPSA will be sending out a survey in the next month.
    • Make sure you fill out the surveys honestly and include everything you want from GPSA.
    • They will be surveying sub-populations, so the surveys should be shorter.
    • The GPSA is trying to improve the surveys so more people will take them.
 
  • EGSA Committees
    • Merch committee
      • Table cloth
        • Looking to do something simple… a similar look/feel as the feather flag.
        • Black table cloth material is preferred (it should end up looking like the departmental table cloth.
      • We have broke even on the koozies, and we still have more.
        • If you have any thoughts for new koozies, send them to Jake.
      • New merch items:
        • “Insect-sutra calendar”
          • If you have pictures of bugs in compromising positions, send them Jake.
        • Seed packet sales for pollinator awareness.
          • Karol brought in a sample to the meeting.
        • BUGSS committee
          • $500 flight, still have $200 for catering or other meals
          • What places could we rent?
            • Banyons, Radisson, Holiday Inn, Quality Inn, CUB…
            • Karol will call a few places and get pricing information for us.
          • Advertising committee
            • BUGSS Event Advertising
              • The advertising committee will take care of the flyers for BUGSS event
              • Jenny will help the committee navigate the flyer approval process.
              • We need to make sure that the WSU biology department and the UI receive flyers for this event as well.
              • Signups for fridge or in Entomology Department Office
            • Outreach committee
              • We have $292 to spend on outreach stuff like live insects (and their feed) and posters (upcoming PCEI event)
              • We have two terrariums in the big grad office and Adrian is willing to let us use them
              • We will brainstorm this week and figure out what types of critters we would like to buy.
                • Maybe we should consider buy bugs that live a year or more.
              • Send all ideas to Robbie.
            • Constitution revision
              • Still on its way… Updates coming soon.
            • Social media
              • Rachel made a FB page.
              • If anyone else wants to be an admin, tell Rachel and she will add you.
 
  • Upcoming EGSA goals/new event interest
    • Campouts and insect collecting trips
      • It is going to be held late spring.
    • Mom’s weekend is April 8-10th
    • Dad’s weekend? November 6-8th
      • Robbie- thinks Richard Zack is going to coordinate an “insect feed”.
        • Jenny will double-check this.
      • If Dr. Zack isn’t doing the feed we may do something on our own.
    • Reading days
      • Robbie wants to work on that next semester.
    • Community service day at the organic farm or community garden
      • In the spring
      • The GPSA will announce the dates it ahead of time.
    • Bee club
      • No updates.
 
  • Student Choice Speaker Nominations
  • Jared Ali was the only nominee.
  • Alix will email everyone a list of previous nominees.
  • If you have a suggestion for a second choice nominee, send them to Robert.
 
  • Reminders:
    • Our next planned meeting is two Wednesday from now. The talk does not interfere.
    • Entomology Colloquium: Wednesdays at 12:10 pm in FSHN 354.  Please attend!
  If you have any ‘Entomology News,’ email Dory at dory.lohrey-birch@wsu.edu.   If you would like a topic or event included in the agenda for the next EGSA meeting (October 28th) please email Alix at alix.crilly@wsu.edu

Visit the website

9/16/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - September 16th, 2015

Minutes for Sept 16 meeting, typed up Sept 17 by Megan Asche Dial in:  5709990 for all sites Phone: (509) 335-9445, Meeting ID 09990   In attendance Pullman: Robbie, Rachel, Jake, Megan, Karol, Joseph, Courtney, Jenny, Adrian, Emily, Jonathan and Adekunle Wenatchee: Alix, Robert   Vote on starting at 4 start time
  • The vote was proposed by Courtney and seconded by Karol
  • Unanimously “Yes” vote for starting at 4 in Pullman
  • Next EGSA meeting will begin at 4pm.
  Congrats to Megan, our new club secretary!   Thank you for participating in CAHNRS Festival – any feedback?
  • We can request shade at the CAHNRS Festival
  • We requested it ahead of time, but our table was in the wrong place
  • However we did request it at the event and they accommodated the request
  • Almost all the grad students participated
  • Megan took photos, if you have pics please send them to Rachel and we will use them for our social media pages.
  ESA survey for feedback
  • Photography services at meetings
    • Would you be willing to pay $10 for that service or only use it if it is free?
    • It would be a professional photographer and they might do general make-up
      • The group agreed that they would be interested in that service.
    • Insect order stickers
      • Would an ID sticker with our name and your Order be helpful at the ESA meetings?
      • What about non-insects? Arthropoda or mites would be used?
      • Would this increase confidence?
        • Jake thinks that it would need a social event as well.
        • Robbie suggested an “Order Social”
        • Rachel thinks this would prevent people from talking to each other.
    Upcoming Events
  • Potluck
    • Karol and Jake think we should do a graduate student “picnic in the park.”
    • Jake suggested a monthly get together
    • Courtney suggested some time in October
      • It was agreed that we all wanted to do something, but we aren’t sure when.
    • Honey bottling updates
      • We are being given 200 lbs. of honey!
        • Jake found out we will be getting 70 liters of honey and we are currently ordering bottles.
        • Steve is in Korea, maybe when we will find out more about bottling when he gets back?
        • The bottles haven’t yet arrived
        • Megan talked to Brandon and he said he would like to order the bottles. When he gets back from Louisiana she will ask him if he is still interested in doing that.
      • BUGSS Fall 2015 – look for signups in early October
        • The talk for BUGSS is currently scheduled during our EGSA meeting time – feedback?
        • The itinerary for Wyatt Hobeck is right when EGSA starts, can we skip it?
          • The group agreed that we could skip it.
  EGSA Committees – Reports?
  • Merch committee
    • The flag banner has arrived!!
      • We are going to give Caleb a “Thank you” card for helping.
    • Would we like to order a table cloth?
      • They will put together a meeting later so Eli can participate in the table cloth discussion.
    • Courtney suggested that maybe we might like to sell seeds
      • Perhaps to accompany the honey sales
 
  • BUGSS committee
    • Rachel and Austin (at UI) are the new members of the BUGSS committee.
    • Feedback: we should send invites sooner
    • When Wyatt comes back they will be requesting nominations (in about a month)
    • The Sonia Altizer said she would be interested in doing it next year, she will be going on the ballot.
    • If there is a researcher you are interested in nominating, start making a case now so they can get on the ballot.
  • Advertising committee
    • No new business
  • Outreach committee
    • PCEI Animals of the Night event Friday October 30th at 5pm
      • They want us to talk about nocturnal insects, “scary bugs”
      • We already have a looping slide show, insects and sounds
      • Robbie is going to say we are interested and he is going to start a sheet for ideas.
      • The event is in a month and a half
      • Funding for live insects? Karol is going to check and Jake.
    • Constitution revision
      • Those on the community are reviewing it and making revisions.
      • The revised constitution will be reviewed as a group when they committee has completed their review.
      • Eventually we will vote on a new constitution
    • Social media
      • If you took pictures at the CAHNRS event, send them to Rachel
  Upcoming EGSA goals/new event interest (Form committees, initial stages)
  • Welcome Back BBQ Sun, September 13, 12pm – 2pm
  • Fall Bowling Night Fri, October 9, 6pm – 8pm
  • Do we have any suggestions for volunteer events? Maybe something that the whole family can participate in?
    • Talk with Karol if you have suggestions
  • This would be a good opportunity for a club that could use GPSA backing
  • The “Outreach” committee will do some brain storming on this.
  Student Choice Speaker Nominations   Faculty Meeting Updates
  • The next meeting is 9/23
  • If you have any comments on Jeb’s form send them to Courtney
    Award Committee Liaison Position
  • The awards committee would like a student perspective to help evaluate faculty awards applications for departmental awards
  • This person would also communicate between the awards committee and EGSA regarding when faculty are being nominated for ESAawards, in case any of us in EGSA are interested in writing a letter of recommendation.
  • It’s a very low time commitment position and it’d be fun because they’d get to work with the two Vince’s and Paul.  Also, writing letters of recommendation can be hard, and this is good practice.
  • If you are interested in this position, contact Alix.
  New Beekeeping Club!!
  • Emily is starting a bee keeping club, first meeting is 4pm Thursday in this room
  • Trying to set up this semester for bees in the spring
  • She is interested in recruiting undergrads
  • If you would like to promote the club in your classes, there is a slide.
    • Courtney will send it around.
  Reminders:
  • Entomology Colloquium: Wednesdays at 12:10 pm in FSHN 354.  Please attend!
  • Anthony Zera is coming next week
    • If you want to meet with him tell Robbie or Amy.
  • Make sure you sign the condolence card on the fridge.
  If you have any ‘Entomology News,’ email Dory at dory.lohrey-birch@wsu.edu.   If you would like a topic or event included in the agenda for the next EGSA meeting (September 30th) please email Alix at alix.crilly@wsu.edu

Visit the website

9/2/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - September 2nd, 2015

Minutes for Sept 2 meeting, typed up Sept 3 by Robert Orpet  
  • Introductions
  Welcome, new students Megan, Adrian, Joseph, and Emily. (There are two new mystery students that did not attend).  
  • Meeting time?
  The meeting time will be “re-evaluated”  
  • Overview of Events for New Students
    • CAHNRS Fall Festival – Thursday, 10 September 4-6pm in Spillman Plaza
      • Table setup/takedown, museum displays, live insects, etc
      • Scholarship opportunities, free ice cream, and BBQ!
      • Signups necessary or no?
  Sign-up for set-up and take-down is desired. Robbie will create the sign-up and get the key for set-up. Remember to let Dr. Zack know about taking things from him.  
  • Beginning of the Year Potluck – Fall 2015 TBD
  Since the department picnic is soon (next Friday at 6), the Beginning of the Year Potluck is tabled for now. Possibly we will have one a Jake-Robbie’s eventually.  
  • Honey Sales – Fall 2015
  We need to know when to do the bottling and how much there is (i.e., how many bottles are needed). Robert O. will ask Dr. Sheppard. Jake will purchase bottles.  
  • BUGSS – Dr. Wyatt Hoback, 15 October 2015
  • Insect Feed – ? TBD
  Talk to Dr. Zack if you want to bring something to Bug Appetite (around Father’s Weekend)  
  • Insect Cinema Cult Classic – Fall or Spring 2015 TBD
  • Paul Catts Memorial Lecture and Dinner – Spring 2016 TBA
  • Staff Appreciation Lunch – Spring 2016 TBD
  • Student Choice Speaker – Spring 2016 TBA
  • Insect Expo – Spring 2016 TBA
  • BUGSS – Spring 2016 TBA
 
  • EGSA Committees – Reports? (if any) New members? Need list of members.
    • Merch committee
-Jenny, Jake, Courtney, Eli, and Robert O. are members. -Eli and Jenny ordered feather flags  
  • BUGSS committee
    • Looking for a committee to serve on? If so, contact Dave Crowder!
    • Sonia declined our invitation but would love to come Fall 2016
    • Wyatt Hoback has accepted our invitation and will speak 15 October
    • Details and meeting sign-ups to come
  We have Alix and Rachel + UI people organizing this. Alix would like to not be on the committee due to not being in Pullman. A volunteer is needed to join this committee.  
  • New committees?
    • Advertising committee
  Rachel, Courtney, Jenny, and Megan volunteered to be this committee.  
  • See below
  Robbie Z. created an outreach committee. The other members will serve as “henchmen”: Joseph, Emily  
  • Upcoming EGSA goals/new event interest (Form committees, initial stages)
    • Update EGSA bylaws
  A committee was formed to update the by-laws and constitution (currently can be found on Cougsync). Members: Robbie, Alix, Robert, Adrian, Joseph, Courtney  
  • Update Social Media (Facebook) and CougSync
  Rachel update: currently the facebook page is a private page just for club memebrs. The goal for the future is to make a public page that could be used for public engagement. Rachel needs help with Cougsync. Robbie is a Cougsync Master.  
  • Campouts and insect collecting trips
  Oureach activities are a Robbie job. Non-outreach trips were not discussed here.  
  • Nominations for Secretary
    • Responsibilities are straightforward – take notes at meetings and distribute minutes to students within a day or so
    • Nominate by this Friday, 4 September – send your nominations to Robert Orpet!
    • Poll sometime next week, vote by 15 September
    • New Secretary announced at next meeting
  Send nominations to Robert O (Robert.orpet@wsu.edu) by Friday. Poll will be next week. Poll closes Sept 15.   Adrian was nominated and he accepted.  
  • Student Choice Speaker:
    • Send your nominations (a photo, education history, brief bio, a handful of publications) to Robert Orpet. A poll and nominee bank will be sent out soon.
  Send nominations to Robert.orpet@wsu.edu  
  • GPSA Updates – Eli Bloom and Karol Krey
  Numerous updates: Apply for a travel grant by this Friday if you traveled during the Summer We get affiliate funding because we are RSO There are excellence awards: nominate professors, TAs, and Advisors Social event at Rico’s Sept 10. 50% off from 6-9 PM Grad Student welcome back BBQ: you can’t sign up anymore (i.e. you cannot get free food) but you can still go Oct 9: free bowling 6-9 at Zippos Dec 2: Free ice cream 11AM-1PM 10$ football tickets for graduate students In Terrell 4 there is a graduate student study area CUE 414 is a free writing center, but only a 50% off printing center  
  • Faculty Meeting Updates – Courtney Grula and Alix Whitener
  Alix attended. Many things were discussed. A detailed report will be sent by Alix.   Some important notes: -exams for students are open for students to attend -new grad center is in Johnson Hall. Most of the normal Dory stuff goes here now. -send Courtney feedback on the evaluations of students form Alix sent -looking for a volunteer “student liason” that will give feedback to the Faculty Awards Committee (which does applications for ESA awards and departmental awards)  
  • Reminders:
    • CAHNRS Fall Festival – Thursday, 10 September 4-6pm in Spillman Plaza
    • Beginning of the Year Potluck
    • Entomology Colloquium: Wednesdays at 12:10 pm in FSHN 354.  Please attend!
  If you have any ‘Entomology News,’ email Dory at dory.lohrey-birch@wsu.edu.   If you would like a topic or event included in the agenda for the next EGSA meeting (September 16th) please email Alix at alix.crilly@wsu.edu

Visit the website

5/5/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - May 5th, 2015

Congratulations to all graduates! Staff Appreciation Lunch
  • Next year we can rent chairs/tables to have for our events
  • RSO officers have completed training
  • GPSA, ASWU- opportunities to get more money for our club!
Elections Results:                   President:  Alix Whitener Vice President:  Robert Orpet Secretary:  Courtney Grula – TBR with new student? Treasurer:  Jake Asplund Faculty Liason:  Courtney Grula GPSA Senators:  Eli Bloom and Karol Krey Outreach Coordinator- Robbie Zinna
  • New officers contact old officers to get information on your new position
  • Rachael is updating cougsync. Anybody who is interested in helping please contact her!
EGSA Bylaws
  • These should probably be updated – ongoing project to be tackled by officers and anyone interested in helping out
  • EGSA bylaws are out of date, we should update them! Work on them starting next semester!
Social Media and CougSync
  • These will be updated by Rachel
  • We will have an internal Facebook page, a public one for events, and CougSync will be cleaned up and made more accessible to the public
Faculty Meeting Updates
  • Kim Kidwell- Ignite program – for undergrad- encourage advisors to help out to get people interested in research
  • Annual Reviews due by This Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – Contact your advisor if you haven’t heard about this yet.
  • New hires need to complete a safety checklist. All grad students should have to complete this. Make sure you have done a safety checklist. Incident reports- must have completed safety training with documentation. This form is available online, or through Dory/Adam. Contact your advisor if you are unaware of your qualifications.
  • CHANRS kudos website coming soon – will feature good work from students
  • Office Hours will be changing for the summer, will close by 4pm – look for an email
  • We will continue to discuss what will be happening with Taxonomy
Upcoming Outreach Events
  • Tuesday June 16 – Thursday June 18, 4-H Camp –in Tucannon – this will be an event where students will be teaching kids about insects and collecting. It will be a 50 minute presentation from us. FOOD IS INCLUDED!!!  is most likely the preferred date–Contact Robbie if you are interested in this event!
  •  Monday May 11thNEXT MONDAY, 12-4:30, Jefferson Elementary School. Camp Wooten in Pomeroy, This will be 3 1hr sessions to teach about insects and collecting- Contact Robbie ASAP if you are interested.
  • June 18th – Outdoor Biology Activities and the Insect Walkaround –  PCEI – Contact Robbie ASAP, There will be walking around and collecting and a short talk about insects
  • May 16th Community Garden Event – Contact Lizz if you are interested – beneficial insect talk
Look for an email in late summer:
  • Honey Extraction!
  • Honey Bottling! (Bottles are being purchased AND prepurchased)

Visit the website

4/21/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - April 21st, 2015

21 April 2015

Student Choice Speaker Wrap Up
  • Suggested for next year to make it clear in the invitation that all expenses are paid
Mary Gardiner
  • Lunch Thursday at 12:30 in conference room – please email Alix by Wednesday at noon to RSVP
  • Talk Thursday at 3:30pm in T101 – flyer sent out
  • Reception Thursday evening 5pm at Mark Schwarzländer’s house – flyer sent out
Staff Appreciation Lunch – May 4th at noon (Outside weather permitting, FSHN 164 if not)
  • Natalie and Robbie will order from Subway
  • Bring a side, dessert, or soda/juice
  • Natalie and Robbie will order gift cards/flowers for staff
LEAD Awards Thursday April 23 5pm (Location unknown, probably the CUB Ballroom)
  • 5 seats towards the front, rest in the back
  • One person to ‘receive’ the award, and everyone is welcome to be in the photo at the front
Elections
  • VOTE! You have until Friday, April 24
Merchandising Committee Update
  • None
  • Deadline set to have tablerunner and flags on hand by the Fall Festival next year
GPSA Updates
  • Civic Engagement Week
Lizz and Jake volunteered at the organic farm
  • Ice Cream Social at Ferdinand’s
April 30th, 1-3 pm Bring your student ID
  • End of the Year Party at Belltower
May 2nd, 8-10 pm Food will be provided, alcohol must be purchased
  • We received our full requested amount of affiliate funding
We should ask for more next year, as we are likely to get it
  • Travel grants are still in review
  • Katie Harris (Anthropology) is the new director of legislative affairs for GPSA
Her responsibilities involve lobbying the state senate to improve graduate student wages, insurance, etc. Faculty Meeting Updates None Upcoming Outreach Events
  • Email Robbie IMMEDIATELY if you are interested in helping with either event
  • April 25th and June 18th – Outdoor Biology Activities and the Insect Walkaround
Pullman Community Gardens Event
  • May 16th at the Community Gardens
  • Plant sales, community organizations, and a bee talk
BUGSS
  • Sonia Altizer will be the guest speaker in the fall
  • We need new committee members – Alix, Cami, and Lizz will not be doing this next year
  • Email Lizz to volunteer
Memorial for Herma
  • The Student of the Year award came with $1,500 financial award
  • Due to university rules, we cannot give the money to Herma’s family
  • This also cannot be a scholarship in Herma’s name, as a minimum $25,000 donation is required to create an endowed scholarship
  • Therefore, we would like to use these funds to create an on campus memorial for Herma
  • Please send ideas for the memorial to Robbie as soon as possible; he is working on a proposal to submit to Adam for how we will spend these funds
  • A poll of the students will be conducted to determine which memorial idea will be funded
  • Examples of memorials: a bench, a tree with a plaque, etc.
Upcoming Events
  • BUGSS #2 – April 22nd Mary Gardiner
  • April 25th – Outdoor Biology Activities
  • May 1st – Department (with food science) BBQ
  • May 4th – Staff appreciation lunch
  • June 18th PCEI “Insect Walkaround”

Visit the website

4/7/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - April 7, 2015

Insect Expo Wrap-up
  • New position will be created to organize the Expo and other similar events – Outreach Coordinator
  • Lizz has created an “Expo checklist” – the Coordinator could use this to assign tasks to people as part of planning the Expo
  • Grow your own beetle kits – Alix is making a display of the beetles in various stages of development to show at the table that gives away the kits
  • We need to get some of our posters laminated
  • Suggestion to make each table a station, where the kids would earn stickers for visiting it, then if they collect all the stickers, they get a prize (like edible insects or the grow your own beetle kits)
  • Please collect additional insects during your field work this summer. This will allow us to update the display boxes. Taxonomy students are also encouraged to donate their extras.
  • Tracks of “insect music” to play during the event
Student Choice Speaker:  Alper Bozkurt      
  • Breakfast has been moved to Friday, still at 7 AM – we can now stay in the kitchen classroom, since there is no class in there that day
  • Dinner options and vote – see the email Jenny sent regarding the pros and cons of each (the survey has closed as of Thursday at 1 PM)
  • Itinerary – Please sign up to meet!
  • Share Facebook event invite to spread the word
  • Check Google Drive document to confirm your appointment to meet with him (some appointments were cancelled due to his change in schedule)
  • Driving: Alix will reserve truck with Adam so that anyone scheduled to drive him has a vehicle available
  • Computer science and potentially engineering are also being asked to sign up to meet with him (but entomology gets priority)
  • Alix will also contact Whitman County Search and Rescue, as they may be interested in this talk as well
  • Daily Evergreen funding – we have ¼ page running three times to advertise this event
Elections!
  • New voting process (open to changes or suggestions):
    • Rebecca is collecting nominations – please send your nominations or nominate yourself to Rebecca by Friday, April 10. This is also the deadline for statements!  Nominees that did not directly volunteer will be notified and asked if they would like to run for office.
    • Write a short paragraph about why you would be a strong candidate for the position.  Paragraphs will be distributed shortly after the 10th
    • To allow for anonymity in the voting process, the votes will be collected via Survey Monkey and Dave will announce our new officers at the meeting on Friday April 17th.
    • Offices open are President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Faculty Liaison, Social Media Director, and Outreach Coodinator
    • New Social Media position will be responsible for taking photos at events, maintaining the EGSA Facebook Page, making event invitations, etc. 
    • Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for planning outreach events (the Expo, PCEI, etc.) and assigning individuals to specific tasks
Merchandising Committee Update PB-ESA Updates
  • We are still the only group tabling
  • Alix will get a general sense of interest to determine to what extent we are tabling
GPSA Updates
  • Have not had any meetings for awhile
  • There is a community service event, Sunday April 19th at the organic farm – Let Robbie know ASAP if you are interested in this event
  • Old Bookie into small Rec facility initiative: undergrads voted yes, graduate students voted no
    • This means graduate students will not be paying for these renovations
    • Future graduate students will have to opt in and pay to use this facility
    • More surveys will be done regarding the tobacco-free initiative
Faculty Meeting Updates – none Upcoming Events
  • Student Choice Speaker –April 16th & 17th Alper Bozkurt
  • BUGSS #2 – April 22nd Mary Gardiner
  • April 25th – Outdoor Biology Activities
  • May 1st – Department (with food science) BBQ
  • May 4th – Staff appreciation lunch
  • June 18th PCEI “Insect Walkaround”, provide general insect information and displays, then go and collect
  • Megan was awarded Science Saturday money – so she will be doing bee education outreach (congratulations!)

Visit the website

3/10/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - March 10th, 2015

Student Choice Speaker:  Alper Bozkurt
  • Flight booked – Alix will pick him up Wednesday evening
  • Hotel booked –WSU Residence Inn
  • CUE 419 booked, campus-wide talk April 16th 6:30pm (CUE 419 from 6-9pm)
  • FSHN Kitchen booked April 17th 7am-8am, move downstairs to eat
  • FSHN 354 booked April 17th 8am
  • CUE 419 booked, entomology-only talk April 17th 5pm (CUE 419 from 4:30-6:30pm)
Still discussing restaurant options: South Fork, Fireside, Black Cypress, Thai Ginger, hotel banquet hall + catering
  • Still waiting on talk details for advertising
  • Advertising committee:  Also need to advertise for Insect Expo
Daily Evergreen – Lizz and Jenny CUB TV and flash flushes – Lizz Contact departments – Alix Flyers – Alix Facebook Page – Rachel Pullman transit flyers – Alix
Insect Expo
  • Need to make new displays
  • We have money budgeted for this, Jenny will check how much
  • Will need to buy: live insects, paints for Jenn Seigrist, snacks, refill any supplies
  • Supplies need to be accessed to see if we need to buy more, Lizz will do this
  • Make hats!
  • Suggested to the termite activity again
  • Will buy the “super worm” mealworms, give “grow a beetle in a cup” to the first ~100 children to show up
BUGSS Update
  • Van will be available for use (only the truck is going to be used for Taxonomy that day)
  • The truck will return after lunch
  • May use the van to go to Bill Snyder’s for the reception (will check with Adam)
  • Alix needs a head count for the pizza lunch NOW, contact her if you plan on going
  • There will be a hike/collecting trip with Evan on Friday, contact Lizz if you would like to go
Merchandising Committee Update
  • Eli showed samples of feather flags that we can order
    • Cost is ~$80
    • Very customizable
    • Will contact company for estimates
    • Plan on using the beetle logo
    • Table cloths
      • Estimate is $60-100
      • Will use similar design to feather flags
      • Eli will also get quote
      • Light colored (white or light grey) text on a crimson or black background
ESA Updates
  • Student Debates: Contact esastudentdebates@gmail.com if you are interested
    • No spots for debate teams remaining, but three introductions still available
    • All that is required is one 5 minute talk (counts as invited) at the meeting and a short summary of the issue you are introducing, which will be published in American Entomologist
PB-ESA Updates
  • Program chairs are deciding between two options:
    • Tables in lobby near registration desk, 10am-3pm
    • Social hour with poster presenters
    • Will share space with a handful of other student groups
    • Will be very casual, table does not needed to be person-ed for the whole time
Affiliate Funding for Fall 2015
  • Applied for: supplies for new display boxes for the museum/outreach events, Fall Festival, live insects for EGSA events, BUGSS Funding
GPSA Updates
  • Vote: President/VP, CAHNRS Rep, our senators (Karol and Eli are running)
  • Excellence Awards Nominations
  • End of Year Party (May 2th)
  • GPSA/UREC Soccer Tournament
    • Our department can submit a team
    • 5 people per team
    • $20 to register
    • DOLA now a full time assistantship
    • Director of Communications will be an available position next year
    • Health Care Task Force is preparing a report to improve care in some areas
    • Ice Cream Social (April 30th)
    • 50% off at Rico’s (Mar 19th)
    • Residual tuition will be paid by graduate school ($173)
Shared Outdoor Event with Biology
  • They asked our preference, April 18th or 25th
  • We decided at the meeting to choose the 25th, will update with more details at next meeting
Meet and Greet with new students
  • Tomorrow (March 11th) at noon
  • 3 incoming students
  • In conference room, lunch provided
Faculty Meeting Updates: none Upcoming Events
  • BUGSS – March 13th Evan Preisser
  • Insect Expo – April 4th
  • Student Choice Speaker –April 16th & 17th Alper Bozkurt
  • E. Paul Catts – April 8th Clare Kremen
  • BUGSS #2 – April 22nd Mary Gardiner
  • May X – Staff appreciation lunch

Visit the website

2/10/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - February 10th, 2015

  La Cross School Outreach event At the community center Leave at 12:45 pm, back by 3-4pm Wednesday, Feb 18th Meet at FSHN, ride is provided Alix has an activity planned (termites and trail following) Also discuss college/graduate school Talk to Alix if interested – need to know how many people to choose vehicle size Student Choice Speaker:  Alper Bozkurt
  • Flight booked, arriving April 15th
  • CUB Jr Ballroom or CUE Lecture hall for campus wide talk, April 16th 6:30pm
  • Breakfast April 17th, 8am in FSHN 354 – cooking at 7am (book kitchen)
  • Smaller room in CUE for his talk with us, followed by a reception at a restaurant.  We are looking into the comparability between Banyans and other restaurants with banquet rooms in Pullman. Also potential to have hotel or WSU hall + catering. Time: Talk at 5pm and dinner at 6:30?
  • Advertising committee:
Daily Evergreen – reapply for funding CUB TV and flash flushes Contact computer science & engineering Flyers Facebook Page Pullman transit flyers Merchandising Committee update FOUND: Old shirt designs! Let’s make some Insect Expo Shirts! Wiley Table Officially accepted 9am-2:30p, Friday Feb 20th Should have sign with list of events to advertise Expect an email regarding shifts soon Each shift will be an hour ESA Updates Student Debates: Molecular Biology & Entomology: Partnering for Solutions 1)      What is the single best genetically engineered arthropod technology for pest control? 2)      With the development of technologies like RNAi, in the future we may be capable of eradicating species. If we can eradicate a species, should we? 3)      What is the single best tool for managing pesticide resistance? Contact esastudentdebates@gmail.com if you are interested. PB-ESA Updates
  • Abstract deadline extended – Feb 17th
  • Linnaean Games – deadline to make a team materialize out of thin air: March 9th
Please let Alix know ASAP if you are interested So far: Alix, Robert, Robbie, Rebecca (if she has to)
  • Career Fair: We will be awarding restaurant vouchers and two scholarships of $100 to student participants this year. CV Workshop, networking, hors d’oeurvres and cash bar.
  • Awards and Travel Grants due February 15th – check out the PB-ESA website to learn more
Faculty and Staff Appreciation Lunch
  • Aiming for mid-March. When are potential grad students visiting?
GPSA Updates
  • Elections coming up: check your email
This is for the executive positions within GPSA
  • Changes may be coming up with the way senators are elected
May be bundled within district rep/executive elections Would require an application to GPSA Goal is to increase voting for executive/district rep positions
  • Anyone can apply to be on the executive council
  • Robbie won’t be running as CAHNRS rep again – you can run
  • Feb 27th, 6-8p Free bowling night
  • Mar 28th Soccer Game
  • Take the health survey that was emailed out
Faculty Meeting Updates
  • Laura: Minorities and women program on the second floor
  • Adam will be here in the mornings only, we’ll have a new fiscal specialist/academic coordinator – basically a grad center
  • Dory’s role will also change
  • Will be modelled off of Crop and Soils
  • Student Handbook
Grant proposal: before or after proposal talk? Still discussing. Whatever is currently in student handbook is what you should follow, unless you were grandfathered in There is no “departmental template” for the grant – ask your advisor what s/he wants
  • Change to 15 credits for Ph.D. students is in process with Faculty Senate
  • Department appreciated thank you note for travel monies for ESA
  • Credit transfer from U of I: the no GPA credit transfer is not official policy and has never been justified
Still in progress BUGSS Updates
  • Survey results: top choice was Sonia Altizer
  • There will be a sign up sheet to meet individually with Evan Preisser soon
Upcoming Events
  • BUGSS – March 13th Evan Preisser
  • Insect Expo – April 4th
  • Student Choice Speaker –April 16th & 17th Alper Bozkurt
  • E. Paul Catts – April 8th Clare Kremen
  • BUGSS #2 – April 22nd Mary Gardiner

Visit the website

2/23/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - February 23rd, 2015

La Cross School Outreach event
  • Successful event, with more similar events likely in the future
Wiley Table
  • Tabling accomplished, some interest from students/judges in attending Insect Expo
Student Choice Speaker:  Alper Bozkurt
  • Flight booked
  • CUE 419 booked, campus-wide talk April 16th 6:30pm (CUE 419 from 6-9pm)
  • FSHN Kitchen booked April 17th 7am-8am, move downstairs to eat
  • FSHN 354 booked April 17th 8am
  • CUE 419 booked, entomology-only talk April 17th 5pm (CUE 419 from 4:30-6:30pm)
Still discussing restaurant options: South Fork, Fireside, Black Cypress, Thai Ginger, hotel banquet hall + catering
  • Advertising committee:  Also need to advertise for Insect Expo
Daily Evergreen – Lizz and Jenny CUB TV and flash flushes – Lizz Contact departments – Alix Flyers – Alix Facebook Page – Rachel Pullman transit flyers – Alix
Merchandising Committee update
  • Discussed possibility of making a table cloth/flag with “EGSA” and unique logo on it, separate from department
  • The committee has been developing vision documents describing the purpose of the committee and potential projects they would like to take on
  • One likely project is building a website solely for EGSA updates and merchandise purchasing
  • Discussed getting a table for the group at PBESA, Alix will talk to Lisa Neven about the most appropriate venue for this (likely the Career Fair)
ESA Updates PB-ESA Updates
  • Registration extended! See email from Lisa Neven and register ASAP
  • Linnaean Games – Alix, Robert, Robbie, Rebecca (if she has to)
Faculty and Staff Appreciation Lunch
  • Discussed having this event the first week of May
Affiliate Funding for Fall 2015
  • Will apply for: supplies for new display boxes for the museum/outreach events, Fall Festival, live insects for EGSA events
  • Please contact senators if you have other ideas for things we should apply for by this Thursday (Feb 26th)
GPSA Updates
  • Vote! March 10th
Voting for GPSA President, Vice President, and District Reps As well as our senate representatives for EGSA
  • We currently only have one person (Karol) running for senate and we have two empty seats to fill. Please consider running for senate so that our department has full representation. If you have questions about how to get on the ballot, contact Karol, Lizz, or Robbie.
  • No one is currently running for CAHNRS district rep. Consider taking a higher leadership position at WSU to become more involved (and it will be good experience to list on your CV).
  • Old Bookie Referendum:
Vote as to whether or not you support the Old Bookie being turned into a recreation/socialization space. If a majority of graduate students do not approve, then graduate students will not be required to pay the yearly fee for the use of this space (but will not be able to use it).
  • Bowling Friday (Feb 27th) at Zeppos
  • Soccer game, March 28th
  • Coug Day at the Capitol – state politicians currently not interested in graduate education
Faculty Meeting Updates
  • Template for grant writing that is in-line with the student handbook standards is now available on SharePoint
  • Grad Center in Johnson Hall will be available sometime around summer
The purpose of this facility is to help build your program of study
  • The all-faculty retreat is August 13th-14th
  • April 9th-10th is E.P. Catts speaker event. Major professors should pay for students to attend the dinner (can provide a budget number)
  • TA allocations: talk to teaching faculty if you are interested in TAing
  • Annual Reviews involving a meeting with your major advisor, followed by a meeting with the department chair will be held this year. This is your opportunity to review your progress, make plans for the future, and discuss any problems you are having.
  • There will be more opportunities for extension publications in the future, which will be hosted primarily online.
BUGSS Updates
  • Sign up sheet to meet with Evan Preisser will be available soon
  • Plans are to carpool over to U of I for the talk, etc.
Upcoming Events
  • BUGSS – March 13th Evan Preisser
  • Insect Expo – April 4th
  • Student Choice Speaker –April 16th & 17th Alper Bozkurt
  • E. Paul Catts – April 8th Clare Kremen
  • BUGSS #2 – April 22nd Mary Gardiner

Visit the website

1/21/15

EGSA Meeting Minutes - January 21st, 2015

Upcoming Events
  • BUGSS – March 13th, Evan Preisser
  • Insect Expo – April 4th
  • Student Choice Speaker –April 16th & 17th, Alper Bozkurt
This is still tentative, see below
  • E. Paul Catts – April 8th, Clare Kremen
  • BUGSS #2 – April 22nd, Mary Gardiner
Student Choice Speaker
  • Alper Bozkurt
  • He has indicated he is available April 16-17, with possibility to stay the weekend
  • Tentative schedule: Breakfast on the 17th, Public talk evening of the 17th, potential for Banyans dinner during the weekend
  • The CUB is booked, Alix will look into booking one of the CUE auditoriums
  • If we haven’t received confirmation from him by mid-March, we will move on to planning a different speaker for the fall
  • Next year: will need list of names soon for potential speakers, start thinking of some to submit to the group
Merchandising Committee update
  • Some sales from display case, nearly at breakeven point
  • Some discussion of website-based sales
  • Might make an Insect Expo shirt
  • Wiley table: need to limit focus on sales and focus more on the activities of the EGSA
Wiley Table
  • Sign-up sheet on refrigerator to run table
  • If a sufficient number of people sign up, Alix will book the table
  • Application deadline for tabling is due this Friday at noon
BUGSS Updates
  • List of potential speakers coming soon
  • Please respond to the survey asking you to rank your preference for these candidates
Honey sales
  • Buy honey bottles to replace those we used this year (Alix, Brandon, Jenny, et al.)
Insect Expo
  • Coordinate with Rich Zach on Insect Expo/Insect Feed
Add some additional food items to menu (Robbie, potentially) Need to discuss details with Rich, since he has the food handler’s permit
  • Ideas for adding 1-2 new tables, carnival game related
Faculty and Staff Appreciation Lunch
  • Will aim for a mid-March date
  • Will try to line up with student visits to department
GPSA Updates
  • Wiley abstracts are due January 23rd – remember, your advisor has to approve your submission
  • Application for student regent
  • Upcoming formal vote by senators to determine if the senator elections should become formalized
This has the potential to increase participation in GPSA in departments that do not have their own student groups Let your senators know if you have an opinion on this so they can better represent you
  • Presidential and District Representative election March 11-12th
  • Expect a health insurance survey via email
  • Expect an email regarding the “Old Bookie Referendum”
This would add $95 to your fees – be sure to vote when you receive the email Would go toward renovating the Old Bookie A previous vote indicated that student preference was to turn this space into additional workout area Faculty Meeting Updates None New Doodle Poll for scheduling EGSA meetings
  • Can resolve conflicts with taxonomy/Rich’s independent study class
  • Increase number of officers able to attend meetings
Linnean Games Talk to Alix if you are interested in participating. We currently do not have enough students to field a team.

Visit the website