EGSA Meeting Minutes – February 10th, 2015
La Cross School Outreach event
- At the community center, leave at 12:45 pm, back by 3-4pm. Wednesday, Feb 18th: Meet at FSHN, ride is provided. Alix has an activity planned (termites and trail following). Also discuss college/graduate school. Talk to Alix if interested – need to know how many people to choose vehicle size
Student Choice Speaker: Alper Bozkurt
- Flight booked, arriving April 15th
- CUB Jr Ballroom or CUE Lecture hall for campus wide talk, April 16th 6:30pm
- Breakfast April 17th, 8am in FSHN 354 – cooking at 7am (book kitchen)
- Smaller room in CUE for his talk with us, followed by a reception at a restaurant. We are looking into the comparability between Banyans and other restaurants with banquet rooms in Pullman. Also potential to have hotel or WSU hall + catering. Time: Talk at 5pm and dinner at 6:30?
- Daily Evergreen – reapply for funding
- CUB TV and flash flushes. Contact computer science & engineering.
- Flyers, Facebook Page, Pullman transit flyers.
Merchandising Committee update
FOUND: Old shirt designs! Let’s make some Insect Expo Shirts!
Officially accepted at 9am-2:30p, Friday Feb 20th
Should have sign with list of events to advertise, expect an email regarding shifts soon. Each shift will be an hour.
Student Debates: Molecular Biology & Entomology: Partnering for Solutions
- What is the single best genetically engineered arthropod technology for pest control?
- With the development of technologies like RNAi, in the future we may be capable of eradicating species. If we can eradicate a species, should we?
- What is the single best tool for managing pesticide resistance?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Abstract deadline extended – Feb 17th
- Linnaean Games – deadline to make a team materialize out of thin air: March 9th
Please let Alix know ASAP if you are interested
So far: Alix, Robert, Robbie, Rebecca (if she has to)
- Career Fair: We will be awarding restaurant vouchers and two scholarships of $100 to student participants this year. CV Workshop, networking, hors d’oeurvres and cash bar.
- Awards and Travel Grants due February 15th – check out the PB-ESA website to learn more
Faculty and Staff Appreciation Lunch: Aiming for mid-March. When are potential grad students visiting?
- Elections coming up: check your email. This is for the executive positions within GPSA. Changes may be coming up with the way senators are elected. May be bundled within district rep/executive elections and would require an application to GPSA.
Goal is to increase voting for executive/district rep positions: Anyone can apply to be on the executive council. Robbie won’t be running as CAHNRS rep again – you can run.
- Feb 27th, 6-8p Free bowling night
- Mar 28th Soccer Game
- Take the health survey that was emailed out
Faculty Meeting Updates
- Laura: Minorities and women program on the second floor
- Adam will be here in the mornings only, we’ll have a new fiscal specialist/academic coordinator – basically a grad center
- Dory’s role will also change
- Will be modelled off of Crop and Soils
- Student Handbook
Grant proposal: before or after proposal talk? Still discussing. Whatever is currently in student handbook is what you should follow, unless you were grandfathered in.
- There is no “departmental template” for the grant – ask your advisor what s/he wants
- Change to 15 credits for Ph.D. students is in process with Faculty Senate
- Department appreciated thank you note for travel monies for ESA
- Credit transfer from U of I: the no GPA credit transfer is not official policy and has never been justified
Still in progress
Survey results: top choice was Sonia Altizer. There will be a sign up sheet to meet individually with Evan Preisser soon
- BUGSS – March 13th Evan Preisser
- Insect Expo – April 4th
- Student Choice Speaker –April 16th & 17th Alper Bozkurt
- E. Paul Catts – April 8th Clare Kremen
- BUGSS #2 – April 22nd Mary Gardiner