Betsy Beers was featured in an article titled “Northwest Feels the Pressure” in the May 15th edition of the Good Fruit Grower Magazine. To read the article go to: http://read.dmtmag.com/i/675334-may-15, page 48.
Congratulations to recent Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Walter Sheppard and Brandon Hopkins who are the recipients of a $85,777 grant from Project Apis M.(5/31/16)
- John Stark who is the recipient of a $369,100 grant from Dept of Interior, US Fish & Wildlife Ecological Services Program (5/31/16)
- Betsy Beers who is the recipient of a $5,000 grant from Valent and a $4000 and a $6,500 grant from ISK Biosciences Corp. (5/23/16)
On June 17, 2016 at 2:00 PM join Dan Bernardo, Interim Washington State University president, and Eric Olson, Washington’s largest honey bee keeper, and start the buzz for a new WSU Honey Bee and Pollinator Research Facility. Together Dan and Eric have pledged to match your support dollar-for-dollar up to $25,000, through June 30, 2016. Come talk to beekeepers and researchers and watch this free, fascinating and informative bee activity, on the lawn of the WSU Lewis Alumni Center. You can #BeeLikeDan and help build a new home for the hives at WSU! See attachment for the complete invitation.
Changes in CAHNRS IT storage: With the new fiscal year fast approaching it is time to announce some changes in how network storage is offered and managed by CAHNRS IT. Retiring collocated hard drives: For nearly ten years CAHNRS IT has offered hard drive colocation as a service for units that needed network attached storage, without the overhead of managing their own server. We are retiring this service in favor of migrating users to our new Cloud platform, which allow us to offer solutions that are more cost effective and scalable than drive colocation. For information on the new storage service and rates please visit https://it.cahnrs.wsu.edu/cahnrs-cloud/.
As part of this retirement we will begin billing users with hosted file shares annually based on their file share quotas starting 7/1/16. All previous customers of the collocated hard drive service who have purchased hard drives for us to host within the last five years will be migrated to the Cloud platform and credited an amount based on a 20% annual depreciation schedule for their hard drive purchase. As always, should you have questions or concerns please reach out to the support team here in CAHNRS IT.
See attachment for details on these positions.
- Research Chemist, Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Hilo, HI
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Entomology Department, Univ. of California, Riverside, CA
- Assistant Professor, Plant Science, Cal Poly-Pomona, Pomona, CA
- Assistant Professor of Practice in Entomology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Research Associate, IPM Innovation Lab, Virginia Tech Univ., Blacksburg, VA
- Animal Production and Protection, USDA/ARS, Oak Ridge Associated Universities, various locations in the U.S.
- Director, Honey & Pollination Ctr., Robert Mondavi Inst., Univ. of Calif., Davis, CA
- Research Molecular Biologist (Res. Assoc.) USDA/Dept of Ag, Manhattan, KS
- Research Entomologist (Res. Associate) USDA/Dept of Ag., Beltsville, MD
- Entomologist (Identifier), USDA/ARS/APHIS, College Station, TX
- Agriculturist, USDA/ARS/APHIS, Miami, FL
- Biological Scientist, USDA/ARS/APHIS, Miami, FL
- Apiculturist, Virginia Tech Univ., Blacksburg, VA
- Research Tech for Ecotoxicology, Eurofins, Prospect Hill, NC
Entomology Dept. Faculty Meeting Schedule
6/24/2016 – 11:00 AM to 12:15 PM 5704472
7/22/2016 – 11:00 AM to 12:15 PM 5704472