WSU offices will be closed on Monday September 5th to celebrate Labor Day.
Note from the Editor: We love bragging about our wonderful students, faculty and staff that I know are doing great things that go unrecognized. Please let us know when you have items to include in the Entomology News via the SmartSheet page at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=b7c943ec39084d74a98410f50b4db935. Your kudos are forwarded to the college for recognition there. Did you receive recognition for a contribution you have made in your community, been awarded a professional or civic award, have a chapter in a book published, had an article published in a professional journal, been the subject of a media article, been awarded a grant, etc.? All are worthy of note. DLB
Congratulations to former Entomology Student Rebecca Schmidt-Jeffris who was elected to the Plant-Insect Ecosystems governing Council for ESA.
Congratulations to recent Entomology Department grant awardee:
- Doug Walsh who the recipient of a $17,951 grant from the USDA/ARS Alfalfa Pollinator Res. Initiative (8/24)
For more info go to: http://informer.or.wsu.edu/RecentFacultyAwards.aspx
Needing to do the Van Driver Training?: Contact Dory (email@example.com) if you, or your employees, are needing to do the Van Driver training in order to drive any state vehicle. The video takes about 1 hour to review and is followed by a short test. Appointments will be scheduled from 10 AM – 2 PM.
Help us get the word out: If you have announcements (i.e., awards, upcoming events) that you would like communicated to others you can do that by going to our SmartSheet Submission page at
https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=b7c943ec39084d74a98410f50b4db935. You will also be able to find the Main Office Request(s) forms at this page. If you have questions contact Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org
See attachment for details on these positions.
- USDA Res. Geneticist, Fargo, ND
- Research Associate, Entomology & Plant Path., N. Carolina St. Univ., Plymouth, BC
- Supervising Ag Standards Specialist, Fresno County, Fresno, CA
- CBP Agriculture Specialist, Dept of Homeland Security, Honolulu, HI
- Supervisory Interdisciplinary Scientist, Dept of Health & Human Services, Silver Spring MD
- Extension Agent I – II Urban Hort., Univ. of Florida, St. Lucie, FL
- Entomologist I-III, Audubon Nature Inst., New Orleans, LA
- Independent consultants for EPA funded project. Oxbow Farm & Conservation Ctr., Carnation, WA
- Plant Health Inspector – Pesticide/Fertilizer, State of Ohio, Cuyahoga or Summit County
- Deputy Director State of Utah, Salt Lake County, Utah
- Pesticide Product Investigation Specialist, Purdue Uni., West Lafayette, IN
- Research Asst. Professor, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
Sign up for Mental Health First Aid training: Interested in learning how to how to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis? Join Health & Wellness Services for Mental Health First Aid training on September 13, October 13 or December 13th. Learn how you can identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. Get details on the program and see this semester’s training schedule: https://hws.wsu.edu/mental-health-first-aid/
2016 International Congress of Entomology, Sept. 25-30, 2016, Orlando, FL. Website: http://ice2016orlando.org/
AIBS Launches 6th Annual Faces of Biology Photo Contest. Submissions must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Time on 30 September 2016. For more information or to enter the contest, visit http://www.aibs.org/public-programs/photocontest.html.
Please nominate deserving graduate students from your unit for these awards. Nominees for each scholarship should be sent directly to Alanna Ellis (email@example.com) in the Academic Programs Office. CAHNRS deadline for nominees for all but the Graduate School Recruitment Scholarship for STEM Disciplines is Thursday, December 8, 2016. Rich Zack, Interim Associate Dean of Academic Programs will make final selections for the college and submit nominations by the Graduate School deadline.
2017 Pacific Branch Entomological Society of America meeting will be April 2-5, 2017 at the Hilton DoubleTree in Portland, OR.