Keith S. Pike
Specialization and Areas of Particular Interest
Enhanced Integrated Pest Management approaches in grains and vegetable crops, especially wheat and potato
Biological control with particular emphasis on aphid and cereal leaf beetle parasitic biological control
Seed-applied insecticides for root and foliar feeding insect pests
Pacific Basin aphid ecology, biology, and ant relationships
Release of Plant Material (joint release with WSU wheat breeders, others): var. Wakanz & Wawawai; soft white spring wheat with Hessian fly resistance, specifically developed for the Pacific Northwest production areas.
BS (1971), Utah State Univ; MS (1973) & PhD (1974), Univ. of Wyo.-Entomology
- Miller, R. H., and K. S. Pike. 2001. [Book Chapter]. Insects in wheat-based systems. In B. Curtis, World Wheat Review. FAO, Rome. (in press).
- Pike, K. S., P. Starý, T. Miller, G. Graf, D. Allison, L. Boydston, and R. Miller. 2000. Aphid parasitoids (Hymenoptera, Braconidae, Aphidiinae) of Northwest USA. Proc. Entomol. Soc. Wash. 102: 688-740.
- Pike, K. S., R. H. Miller, and P. Starý. 2000. Aphid fauna (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and associated flora of Guam. Micronesica 33(1/2): 181-209.
- Pike, K. S., P. Starý, T. Miller, D. Allison, L. Boydston, and G. Graf. 1999. Host range and habitats of the aphid-parasitoid Diaeretiella rapae (M’Intosh) (Hym.: Aphidiidae) in Washington State. Environ. Entomol. 28: 61-71.
- Pike, K. S., P. Starý, T. Miller, D. Allison, L. Boydston, G. Graf , and R. Gillespie. 1997. Small grain aphid parasitoids of Wash.: distribution, relative abundance, and seasonal occurrence; and key to North Amer. species. Environ. Entomol. 26: 1299-1311.
President, ESA-Pacific Branch, 2000-2001; awarded ESA’s 1999 Recognition Award for Outstanding Contributions to Agriculture; awarded FAO Consultancy, biocontrol, Chile; elected to Governing Board, ESA; awarded Nat. Assoc. of Wheat Growers Excellence in Ext. Award; awarded Friend of the Mint Industry Award; recognized by NARC for Regional System on Aphid Monitoring’ for program justification, USDA, OMB & Congress; awarded ESA Student Award, Northcentral Branch; awarded Academic Scholarship.
Emeritus Professor, Entomologist
Washington State University
Irrigated Agriculture Research
and Extension Center
24106 N. Bunn Rd
Prosser, WA 99350