EGSA Meeting Minutes – December 1st, 2016
4:00pm, Dec 1, 2016. EGSA meeting
AMS dial-in: 5704921.
Phone dial-in: passcode: (509) 335-9445. When prompted, enter the meeting ID 04921.
Moved to approve minutes
- Unanimous approval
- Next time briefly list bullet points, only relevant items.
- 31 bottles left for honey
- Net profit of $600 on honey sales after cost of speaker
- Set aside honey as a gift for Dave C. (advisor) and Mary B. (SCS)
- Eli sold some honey to pesticide office, seems our marketing did not reach them.
- Honey is starting to crystalize, may need to sell soon or warm it in a nice hot bath.
- Went to Rico’s got free fries!
- Donuts and coffee tomorrow (Dec. 2).
- December happy hour?
- Potentially organize social hours in upcoming Herma memorial area.
- No organization of UI students. Asked for a list of their names, and have been in communication with a few students from plant insect interactions.
- Plan for now is we each pick a couple names and then we have a vote on the final person.
- Final choice will be given to UI students for them to host.
Calendar almost done, finalizing captions, should be to the printers soon. Printing at CougPrints
- Presented two options to faculty. They will support either! Gave preferences to faculty based on committee. Options:
- 1) Memorial either be on a hall corner on the second floor
- 2) have it on the ground floor in atrium with Ferdinand bull memorial. Told faculty we want it on the ground floor due to being open. Things are progressing!
-Faculty meeting (Emily)
Have not addressed pioneer symposium contributions due to lack of time.
Very large pot of money in GPSA for professional development events, over budgeted by about $30k could potentially use for Pioneer Symposium funding.
-Linnaean Games (Alix)
- Had our first meeting Monday, discussed general rules
- Have 9 students interested in participating!!
- Had our first practice Wednesday,
- Last practice of semester next Wednesday. We will be meeting once/week next semester
- Applications to be a senator due Jan 13th
- Special election which opened today, there are still 20 seats GPSA needs to fill
- Preference for seats go to departments which don’t have representatives yet
- If you are really interested in completing the entomology overtaking of GPSA please apply.
- Excellence award nominations are accepted until Feb 15th, teacher, research assistant, graduate student RSO, and academic advisor.
- CougDay at the capitol application is open, due Dec 9th, event Feb 19-20th.
- Ice Cream Dec. 7th @ Ferdinands, 1-3pm
- Writing workshop: reference management software Dec. 8th 1-3:00pm
- GPSA winter social Dec 16th 1:00pm at Banyans
- Maybe reworking SCS to make it more professional development themed to get some of the GPSA over budgeted $30k. This would include more events besides the talk. Perhaps teaching short workshops?
- Could be used for another event, need to know more details on when money can be used. May have to be used by May. Perhaps invite someone else as a PDI worker. Robert will email Pioneer about this opportunity.
Sold enough honey to not do another honey sale (~20 bottles left). Door to door business sales potentially.
Insect Expo will be March 18, 10AM-2PM, in Emsinger.
Reserved ensminger pavilion for insect expo. Currently day after spring break, need to change the date!
GPSA research expo March 31st and PBESA April 2-6th
- Dave Crowder requests student feedback on PhD prelim exam expectations. Faculty idea is to have a rubric with different categories to make decisions more objective and have clearer expectations. (Robert explain)
- Categories such as statistics, ecology, etc that they can give a rating to.
- The way the prelims work right now is that questions are asked based on specialties of committee and nature of your research. This change would be dramatic.
- Prelims are supposed to encompass all of entomology and not just your specialties.
- Prelim is supposed to show other departments that the current student knows enough of broad entomology. It’s not supposed to be defense.
- Right now the questions are very inconsistent, this would help categorize what students are expected to know.
- Main change should follow graduate school policies- Only committee members can ask questions and vote. Should be brought up to faculty meeting.
- Dave should send out an email looking for feedback to include students who aren’t here.
- Anonymous feedback can go through Robert
-ICCC plan for next semester (Robert)
It is in our best interest to have Robert contact Dr. Sheppard to begin planning as soon as possible.
Final meeting of 2016?
-Last day of classes is Dec 9, finals ends Dec 16, next EGSA would be Dec 15.
-This will be the last meeting of the semester, discuss and decide yes/no
Probably fine if we don’t have a final meeting.
No need for a meeting, people who need to communicate can do so outside of a meeting.
-Honey to buy (20 bottles left)
-CAHNRS Holiday Party! Dec. 8th, 4-6pm. Foods, drinks, and prizes (random)!
-Register for GPSA student showcase (win monies)! Google it.
-Register for PB-ESA (let’s sell merch there? Have more merch by April? Merch needs to think about it).
-Perhaps have a few extra calendars, patches, drink cozies, master seed mix, etc.
-Robert will reserve a table for our club.