Karol Krey will be doing her seminar and her PhD Defense on Friday, June 30th. Her seminar will be at 9:30 AM in FSHN 354 and the exam will following immediately after in FSHN 164. The title of her dissertation is “Using New Molecular Tools to Explore How Organic Farming Impacts Top-Down and Bottom-Up Regulation of Potato Herbivores.” A copy of her dissertation is available for your perusal on the Entomology SharePoint site under Announcements. There is also a hard copy in the Entomology Office.
Congratulations to Sharon Collman on her retirement from WSU Extension effective July 3, giving a new meaning July 4th independence day. Sharon said that she has loved almost every minute of working with gardeners, nursery and landscape professionals, agency professionals and so many others over the last 44 years. She will continue to be active professionally focusing exclusively on entomology and plant problem diagnosis, teaching, writing and photographing after she spends the summer finalizing and photographing her pollinator garden and catching up on many undones. A party was held in her honor on Thursday, June 22, 2017 at the Snohomish County Extension office in Everett, WA.
Congratulations to recent Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Rich Zack received $20,000 to fund Tree Fruit Internships. (6/14/2017)
- Doug Walsh received $11,822 from the USDA/ARS/NIFA for Managing Selfing Rate in Alfalfa See Productions Fields. (6/8/2017)
- Doug Walsh, Jonathan O’Hearn and Naidu Rayapati received $20,392 from the Washington Wine Commission for Quantifying Grape Mealybug’s Efficiency as a Vector of Grapevine Leaf Roll Associated Viruses (GVLRaVs). (6/20/2017)
For more info go to: http://informer.or.wsu.edu/RecentFacultyAwards.aspx
NEW TURNAROUNDS TIMES FOR POSTER PRINTING AT BCU: Beginning July 1st we are testing a new turnaround system for posters and we would love to get your feedback. Call us at 509-335-2624 or email us at email@example.com with your comments.
- Print files in before 10 a.m. on a working day will be out the next working day by 10 a.m.
- Print files in before 3 p.m. on a working day will be out the next working day by 3 p.m.
- RUSHES: We realize a 24 hour period sometimes does not work with your deadlines. Please call us if you need your posters in shorter than a 24 hour period. An additional Rush fee may apply.
LOWER PRICING ON MANY OF OUR SELECT PRINT MEDIA: New prices effective July 1. Please check our web page or give us a call for details.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REMAINS “THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS”!
- Easy file upload –https://dropbox.vetmed.wsu.edu/bcu/
- Quick Turnaround
- Straightforward pricing – No hidden Fees – call for a price quote, or use the calculator on our website.
- Easy payment – Departmental IRI, CougarCard, debit/credit card, or check.
A proven quality poster product from a team you know and trust:
- Over 20 years of quality large format printing and service for our WSU community.
- 4 large format printers – including a new latex printer!
- Color management with each poster.
- 100% customer satisfaction.
- Four full time, two part-time staff to assist you.
We back our product with expertise “help” in research posters:
- Downloadable tips for posters.
- Downloadable WSU Poster templates
- On-line downloadable step by step “How-To Create a PowerPoint Poster.”
- Phone for help and personal tours anytime.
Phone: 509-335-2624 Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb:
Thanks for helping us spread the word. Please tell your coworkers and fellow researchers.
The next Entomology Faculty Meeting is tentative planned for Friday, June 30, 2017.
EMPLOYMENT: See attachment for details on these positions.
- Ag Program Specialist/State Survey, State of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
- Vector Management Coordinator, St. of Vermont, Berlin, VT
- Adjunct Faculty-Organic Pest and Disease Management, Bristol Community College, Fall River, MA
- Assistant Professor (Weed Science), Utah St. Univ., Logan, UT
- Extension Assist/Assoc Professor-Tree Fruit Entomology, Univ. of Mass, Amherst, MA
- Ag Operations Specialist/Asst. Research Farm Manager, Penn State, Univ. Park, PA
- Asst/Assoc Extension Educator/Vegetable Specialist, Univ. Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- Forestry & Recreation Asst. Administrator, Taylor County, Medford, WI
- Plant Protection Inspector, Dept of Ag & Conservation Services, Harrisburg, VA
- Plant Pest Specialist, St. of North Carolina, Bladen County, NC
- Post Doctoral Fellow 2016-2017, Auburn Univ. Faculty, Auburn, AL
Important Dates and Deadlines
Registration is now open for July 29 Hardhat Classic Golf Tournament. For more information or to register see the Hard Hat Classic website.
Norm Ehmann Urban Pest Management Award – July 2017 RFP
Deadline: Proposals will be accepted until August 31, 2017. Submit one electronic or written copy of the proposal to Walter S. Sheppard, Department of Entomology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 99164-6382 (email@example.com@wsu.edu). The applicants will notified of the selection committee choice by October 1, 2017.
Nominations for 2017-18 faculty awards are being accepted through September 29th. See the attached memo for the call and the awards available. Also, please let me know who is being nominated and for what so we can keep an inventory of the submissions to make sure CAHNRS is well represented. Contact Lisa Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting will be November 5-8, 2017 in Denver, CO. Program Symposia and Workshop submissions are now open. http://www.entsoc.org/events/annual-meeting.
As you have likely heard, WSU ITS is in the migration stage for moving our Exchange mailboxes to Office 365. This will happen during the months of May and June 2017. The schedule and additional information for these moves is located at the O365 Outlook Migration web page (see URL image below).
Please look there to see when your area is anticipated to move. Your mailbox will actually be migrated the night before this date to allow everything to be in place when you start work that day. When you first try to access your email after the migration, Outlook will give you the pop-up box noted in the PDF documentation referenced below and you will simply need to restart Outlook, possibly more than once. For many users, this will be the extent of what is needed to complete the migration. Other information that may apply to you after the migration, depending the devices and applications you use, is located at the PDF file web page (see URL image below).
If for some reason, you run into an issue or have a question that is not covered in the documentation or the FAQs online, please contact your local IT support or CougTech at 335-4357 or email@example.com.
Faculty, students and researchers are invited and encouraged to join the Department of Entomology’s ResearchGate group to help make our profile more current and relevant. ResearchGate is a professional network for scientists and researchers and some of you are already members. To get more information and to join our group go to:
https://www.researchgate.net/institution/Washington_State_University/department/Department_of_Entomology and click on Join this Department. There is no cost to join ResearchGate.
The prices on our Entomology Apparel have been reduced. We still have many items in stock ready for you to purchase.