Plan to attend the seminar’s given by Dr. Fred Gould on Monday, Sept 18 at 6:00-9:00 PMT at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Center (on Main St. in Moscow) and on Tuesday, Sept 19 at 3:30-5:00 PM at the Univ of Idaho MB Pitman Center. Dr. Gould’s visit is part of the BUGSS (Bi-University Guest Speaker Series) Lecture Series. If you would like to meet with Dr. Gould contact Laura Lavine (firstname.lastname@example.org, 335-7907) to see if there are appointments available. See the attachments for the event details. For those of you who cannot attend the talk (flier attached) in person, you can tune in via Zoom on Tuesday, Sep. 19, 3:30 PDT. Here is the link: https://uidaho.zoom.us/j/439866126.
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +14086380968,,439866126# or +16468769923,,439866126#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location)?
US: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 Meeting ID: 439 866 12
Congratulations to recent Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Fang Zhu, Laura Lavine and Doug Walsh received grant funding from Renotech in the amount of $25,210 for Characterizing Molecular Mechanisms of EcoRaider for Pest Control (9/7/2017).
- Doug Walsh received grant funding of $13,200 from UC-Davis for IR-4 TASC Magnitude of Pesticide Residue Trials (9/12/17); $8,014 from the USDA/ARS for Alfalfa Pollinator Research Initiative (9/8/2017).
For more info go to: http://informer.or.wsu.edu/RecentFacultyAwards.aspx
WSU Postdoctoral and Research Professional Association – member call out meeting:
Hello professional researchers: Please join us for free pizza, ice-cream and door prizes at the first ever campus-wide meeting of the WSU Postdoctoral and Research Professional Association (WSU-PRPA). This call-for-members meeting will be held in the Center for Undergraduate Education (CUE) room 512 on Friday September 29th from noon-2 pm.
Previously WSU has only had a postdoc association within the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVMPA), and we are now expanding to become a National Postdoc Association member and official club of WSU that will provide support for non-tenure track post-doctorate researchers across all departments on campus. We welcome all Research Associates, Research Assistant Professors, Clinical Assistant Professors, DVM/PhD, and other research professionals to join our group. Your participation at this meeting will help us outline the goals for our association, establish membership with our club and the National Postdoc Association, and will help us plan upcoming events and opportunities.
With support from the Provost’s Office and Office of Research Assurance, the WSU-PRPA will serve to provide an official support network for research professionals that includes:
- Providing training – Grant writing, teaching, interviewing, management, career planning, etc.
- Providing opportunities for presenting research and recognition of excellence.
- Providing a support network for research or employment-related conflicts and inquiries.
- Providing a social network that encourages collaboration and community.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Amanda Brinkworth, Tessa Lord, Amber Hauvermale, Victoria Harcy, Marwa Sanad, and Monica Bando
For more info contact: Amanda Brinkworth, Ph.D, WSU-PRPA interim president
Prestigious Fellowships Workshops: Applying for external fellowships and grants is an excellent way to fund your graduate education, and is also a professional development experience for many students who will be seeking academic career placement where grant funding is a necessity. The Graduate School offers training to help students apply for a number of these prestigious fellowships. To read more about the fellowships and to register for the workshops go to: https://gradschool.wsu.edu/fellowships/
EMPLOYMENT: See attachment for details on these positions.
- AgCenter Assistant/Associate Professor, Louisiana St. Univ., Baton Rouge, LA
- Research Technician, N. Carolina St. Univ., Raleigh, NC
- Research Associate, Univ of California-Davis, Davis, CA
- Assistant Researcher, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Entomologist, St. of Iowa Talent Gateway, Des Moines, IA
- PostDoc Research Associate, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- Dept Chair/Head, Dept of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Clemson Univ., Center TX
- Scientist and Advocate-Environmental Health, Ctr for Biological Diversity, Portland, OR
- Dept of Head, Horticultural Sciences, North Carolina St. Univ., Raleigh, NC
- Extension Program Specialist III – Field Crop Entomology, Iowa St Univ, Ames IA
Important Dates and Deadlines:
The GPSA is offering several events this semester and next spring semester as part of the Professional Development Initiative. For a list of upcoming PDI events go to: https://gradschool.wsu.edu/pdi/2017-2018-pdi-event-calendar/
Nominations for 2017-18 faculty awards are being accepted through September 29th. See the attached memo for the call and the awards available. Also, please let me know who is being nominated and for what so we can keep an inventory of the submissions to make sure CAHNRS is well represented. Contact Lisa Johnson email@example.com if you have questions.
Tidal Leadership Certificate Training for Working Professionals started on September 5, 2017. This training, offered through Washington State University’s Center for Transformational Learning & Leadership and the WSU Global Campus, is designed for working professionals who are eager to learn readily-applicable skills for working with diverse personalities, views, and conflict styles while developing personal awareness, courage, and clarity. For more information go to: https://from.wsu.edu/CAHNRS/2017/tidal/pro/157297-browser.html.
Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting will be November 5-8, 2017 in Denver, CO. Program Symposia and Workshop submissions are now open. http://www.entsoc.org/events/annual-meeting.
Pesticide Registration Workshop on November 8, 2017 in Puyallup at the Allmendinger Center.