The next Entomology Faculty Meeting is on Wednesday, December 13,, 2017 at 2:00 PM. AMS # to come.
EGSA will be had their Annual Honey Sale today at the Lighty Building Café There will be another sale on December 8th at the Lighty Building Café from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM. Sales from this event help fund the Insect Expo, Entomology Student’s Choice Speaker event, and other community outreach events. Pricing is $8/1 pound jar and $15/2 pound jars. EGSA accepts cash, check or card for payment. If you have questions contact Rachel Olsson at firstname.lastname@example.org
The EGSA are now accepting pre-orders for their club’s production of 2018 insect mating themed desktop calendars. For more information and a form for pre-ordering go to https://fs30.formsite.com/robertorpet/form18/index.html
Pre-orders will close Tuesday, December 5th. For more info contact Robert Orpet at email@example.com.
For those of you who were unable to attend Carol Anelli’s ESA Founder’s Memorial Award Lecture the YouTube link is: https://youtu.be/2bNHDLePTtU.
The Graduate School wants to remind us that it is very important that all grades are received before 5:00 PM on Tuesday, December 19, 2017. If you have students who are planning to graduate in December, a missing grade will keep them from graduating.
Four finalists for the CAHNRS Dean position have been identified. Dr. Gregory Lardy visited campus on Nov. 27th and Dr. Andre-Denis Wright was here on Nov. 29th. Dr. Gary Thompson will be here on Dec 4th and the final candidate John Kirby will be visiting on Dec 6th. Finalists’ biographies and curriculum vitae as well as updated information pertaining to the public presentations can be found at: https://provost.wsu.edu/cahnrs.
Congratulations to recent Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Jeb Owen, Rocio Crespo, Bill Snyder who the recipients of a $458,145 grant from USDA/NIFA Organic Transitions to work on an “ecological approach to disease risk management on organic poultry farms (11/29/2017)
- Doug Walsh and Lyndon Porter are the recipients of a $32,000 from the US Dry Pea & Lentil Council for work on Evaluation of Combinations of Commercial Inocluants and Root Health Promoters on Nodulation, Root Diseases, Nitrogen and Phosphorous Uptake and Yield of Popular Green Dry Pay Cultivars. (11/21/2017)
- Doug Walsh is the recipient of a $55,000 grant from UC-Davis/USDA/NIFA for work on IR-R Magnitude of Pesticide Residue Trials (11/9/2017)
- David James is the recipient of a $1000 grant from the Cowiche Canyon Conservancy to support his research. (11/13/2017)
For more info go to: http://informer.or.wsu.edu/RecentFacultyAwards.aspx
It’s Holiday Party Time on the Palouse:
Join us for a joint Entomology & Food Science White Elephant Gift Exchange and Potluck Luncheon on December 20th at 12:00 Noon in the Food Science Kitchen (FSHN 103-155). If you would like to participate in the White Elephant gift exchange there is a $20 limit. The Office Staff will be making soup for you to enjoy on a cold winter day. Donations of bread, salads/sides and desserts will be much appreciated. Please sign up by going to: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080544aeae2da2f49-food
If you are planning to attend sign up by Monday, December 18th so we can know how many to plan for. If you are planning on participating in the gift exchange come by the office to get your numbered ticket. There is also an option to donate $5 in lieu bringing a food item.
You are invited to the Annual Holiday Celebration at the Lewis Alumni Centre on Tuesday December 5 at 6:00-8:00 PM at the Alumni Centre. Join us for the annual Holiday Celebration at the Lewis Alumni Centre hosted by the Student Alumni Ambassadors, the WSUAA’s amazing student club! With an array of activities for the whole family to enjoy, it is the perfect way to start the holiday season. The event also includes holiday crafts, storytelling, music, and refreshments, and children are invited to have pictures taken with Santa Claus and Santa Butch! There is no cost to attend, but please consider bringing a donation of canned food to benefit the Pullman Food Bank. For more information about the holiday event or to learn more about the Student Alumni Ambassadors (SAA), please visit the WSU Alumni Association events page and check out the SAA Facebook page. Save the date for this classic holiday event!
The CANHRS Holiday Party will be on Thursday, December 14, 2017, from 4:30-6:30 PM and the Ensminger Pavilion. Once again we will be collecting food for the food drive up until the day of the party. We have a box in the Entomology Office for you to put your food donations in. All donations will be most appreciated. Items of greatest need are: cereals (hot and cold), canned fruit, canned soup, canned tuna and peanut butter. We have been challenged by the School of Food Science to see who has the most food collected by noon December 14th. So lets fill our boxes up ASAP.
Baby, it is cold outside! There is no better way to warm up this holiday season than by joining fellow Cougs at Cougar Gold and Mistletoe at Merry Cellars Winery on Saturday, Dec 9th at 12-3:00 PM, at Merry Cellars Winery (13 Henley Court) in Pullman. This year’s festive event will feature delicious wine and cheese tastings from Ferdinand’s, a commemorative wine glass, light appetizers, and unique WSU merchandise for purchase. This is a great opportunity to start your holiday shopping for the Cougs in your life! Please bring a food-bank donation and be entered into a door-prize drawing. Items donated will go to the Community Action Center in Pullman. This is one holiday gathering you won’t want to miss!
Call for Abstracts for the WSU Showcase: Celebrating How new ideas change the world
Leverage the power of your ideas by sharing them with WSU colleagues at the 2018 Academic Showcase and GPSA Research Exhibitions. Sharing them with WSU colleagues at the 2018 Academic Showcase and GPSA Research Exhibitions.
Submit your abstract of up to 250 words and your contact information no later than Monday, January 22.
Detailed information about Academic Showcase, the GPSA Research Exhibition, and Abstract Submission Guidelines can be found online. Academic Showcase and the GPSA Research Exhibition are celebrations of original scholarship, research, and creative expression by members of the WSU community and will be held Thursday, March 29, 2018, at WSU Pullman.
University Stores now has liquid nitrogen and dry ice available online. University Stores is the sole provider for dry ice and liquid nitrogen for WSU Pullman campus. Our pricing is the lowest in the whole area and we offer FREE same day delivery. Standing orders for automatic delivery on a weekly or monthly basis is also available upon request. Catalog numbers and pricing are listed below:
Dry Ice I#12507 $1.10/lb Liquid Nitrogen I#12506 $1.10/liter
Visit the website at http://supplymgmt.wsu.edu/ustores/ and click on “Online Catalog” to order.
If you have, any questions about placing orders contact the University Stores staff at 335-3781.
EMPLOYMENT: See attachment for details on these positions.
- Research coordinator II (Entomology & Plant Path), Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Postdoc Researcher, Entomology, CRB Response, Hilo HI
- Postdoc Research Associate, Entomology & Plant Pathology, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Asst/Assoc Professor, Medical Entomology (Extension), Univ of Florida, Indian River, FL
- Viticulture Extension Aide, Cornell University Coop Extension, New York
- Research Associate in Field Biology, Indiana Univ., Bloomington, IN
- Extension Educator-Community Environment (Dodge), Univ of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
Important Dates and Deadlines:
The Graduate School recently announced several scholarships and fellowship awards for outstanding graduate students. Full descriptions and eligibility requirements for each award are provided here: https://gradschool.wsu.edu/scholarships-2016/. Please nominate deserving graduate students from your unit for these awards. Nominees for each scholarship should be sent directly to Alanna Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Academic Programs Office. CAHNRS deadline for nominees for all but the Graduate School Recruitment Scholarship for STEM Disciplines is Thursday, December 7, 2017. Rich Zack, Interim Associate Dean of Academic Programs will make final selections for the college and submit nominations by the Graduate School deadline. Nominees for The Graduate School Recruitment Scholarship for STEM Disciplines are due on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 to Alanna Ellis (email@example.com) in the Academic Programs Office. This is a rare opportunity to acknowledge excellence among the graduate cohort at WSU, and we are well aware that there are many extraordinary graduate students in CAHNRS. Please review the 8 graduate student awards currently being offered by the Graduate School:
- The Richard and Constance M. Albrecht Scholarship: Open to all active doctoral students enrolled either full- or part-time during the fall 2018 semester, in good standing who have successfully passed their preliminary examination, and have at least a 3.5 graduate GPA. Students cannot receive this award more than once.
- Ann Chittenden Holland Master’s Thesis Award for Graduate Student Excellence: Open to all graduate students in good standing in STEM disciplines who have at least a 3.5 graduate GPA, have completed a WSU master’s thesis in the past year and are currently enrolled in a doctoral program at WSU.
- The Charles Allen Master’s Thesis Award: Open to all graduate students in good standing in the arts, humanities and social sciences who have completed a WSU master’s thesis in the past year and are currently enrolled in a doctoral program at WSU and have at least a 3.5 graduate GPA. Students must be enrolled either full- or part-time during the fall 2018 semester. Students cannot receive this award more than once.
- Karen P. DePauw Leadership Award: This is a fellowship, open to all doctoral students who have successfully passed their preliminary examination, and have at least a 3.5 graduate GPA. Students must be enrolled full- or part-time during the fall 2018 semester. Students cannot receive this award more than once. (Please note this award has a separate nomination process – additional details found here: https://afw.wsu.edu/awards/).
- Arnold and Julia Greenwell Memorial Scholarship for Social Sciences and Humanities: Open to all doctoral graduate students who are conducting research/scholarship in the social sciences or humanities and have at least a 3.5 graduate GPA. Students must be enrolled full- or part-time during the fall 2018 semester. Students cannot receive this award more than once.
- Anne and Russ Fuller Fellowship for Interdisciplinary Research/Scholarship: This is a fellowship, open to all doctoral graduate students who are conducting interdisciplinary research/scholarship and have at least a 3.5 graduate GPA. Students must be enrolled full- or part-time during the fall 2018 semester.
- The Graduate School Recruitment Scholarship for STEM Disciplines: Open to all doctoral applicants to WSU in a STEM discipline.
- The Graduate School Dissertation Year Fellowship: Open to all doctoral candidates in good standing with an approved dissertation proposal who have passed their preliminary exam and expect to complete and defend their dissertation during the nine-month period in which the award is offered. In addition, the candidate must be a legal Washington State resident, they must have enrolled full time prior to the fellowship period and have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above.
Pacific Branch ESA meeting in Reno, NV, June 10-13, 2018.
Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting in Vancouver, BC, Nov 11-15, 2018
HEALTH & SAFETY:
Have you gotten suspicious emails with the subject line showing USER and the first line of the message that reads “This is an Email Service Alert from Service Desk?” If so forward it (and any other suspicious emails) on the WSU Security Operations Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. See the attachment for more information that gives some practical ways to prevent harmful
Can’t get enough entomology new and info? Check out these on-line publications:
EntomologyToday, the official ESA Blog at https://entomologytoday.org/
ESA on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/entsoc/
Io9 the Future http://io9.gizmodo.com/tag/entomology
Topix Entomology http://www.topix.com/science/entomology