Outreach & Extension
We are wholly dedicated to engaging students in active learning through research projects and outreach activities. Everyone in our lab has a commitment to this and some of our activities include participating in:
- Laura recently completed a POGIL Facilitator training (www.pogil.org) and can now lead training workshops in Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning
- Insect Expo (every Spring at WSU aimed at pre-K to grade 6 students)
- Dr. Rich Zack’s Insect Feed (every Fall at WSU where we help serve and educate WSU students & their families on the nutritiousness of an insect diet)
- WSU Entomology Museum tours for pre-K through higher ed more
- reading at the Pullman public library
- contributions to individual students through summer academic camps (WSU Upward Bound) and research experiences for high school students.
Dr. Lavine strives continually to keep her teaching and instruction up to date and current – not just in content but also in engagement and delivery. She has embraced several innovative teaching pedagogies (and taken courses on them) in order to reach out to as many students as possible in the classroom and outside of it.