ENTOMOLOGY NEWS SEPTEMBER 8-11, 2015
Tuesday, September 22, 2015 is the last day that a student may drop a course without penalty. Drops will result in the course being removed from the student’s transcript. To drop a course, students will go to myWSU, select Student Center, click on Enroll, then choose the Drop tab.
Then they will take the following steps:
- Select the class by clicking on the box to the left of the course and click “Drop Selected Classes.”
- Click “Finish Dropping” to process request.
- View the results of request. A green check mark under the status indicates success.
The drop will show throughout myWSU immediately, in real time. Notes:
- Some holds will prevent a student from dropping a class, but not all do. Select the details link to see what impact the hold has, and what action is needed. Students must contact the appropriate office to release the hold.
- International Programs – Global Services located in Bryan Hall 108 must approve class drops for International Students.
- After Tuesday, September 22, 2015 course withdrawals cost $5.00 each and are recorded on the student’s transcript as W’s.
- After Tuesday, September 22, 2015 course withdrawals do not reduce tuition charges or the total official hours of enrollment.
For students wanting to graduate this semester please note that application for degree form and fee of $50. must be submitted by October 9th to avoid the late fee of $50 or $75 depending on when you file your form. The last day to schedule an exam for Fall 2015 graduation is November 11th and the final day to do the final exam is November 25th (see the attachment for more details). Keep in mind that a draft copy of your thesis/dissertation must accompany your scheduling form for formatting review and that the scheduling form must be submitted at least 10 days prior to your exam date.
Faculty Senate hosts meetings on annual review proposal
The Faculty Senate and the Office of the Provost are jointly sponsoring two town hall meetings about the proposed revision to faculty Annual Review under consideration by the Faculty Senate.
Both meetings will be held on the Pullman campus, CUE 518, from noon to 1 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10 and Tuesday, Sept. 15. They will include AMS feed for the urban campuses, and they will also be streamed and recorded. The purpose of these meetings is to clarify how annual review will change if the proposal under review is passed by the Senate and approved by the Regents. The meetings are not a venue for comment on the merits of the proposal. Comments for or against the proposal should be directed to your senator, who will vote on the proposal. Review the proposal on the Faculty Senate home page. The meetings will begin with a brief review of the proposal by Judi McDonald, chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee and then move on to clarifying questions to Interim co-Provost Ron Mittelhammer, and Robert Rosenman, co-chair of the Provost’s Task Force on Annual Review.
In advance of the town hall, questions may be emailed to Sheila Converse, Executive Secretary of the Faculty Senate, at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will also be time for questions at the meetings.
Our next Entomology Department Colloquium will be on Wednesday Sept. 16. The presenter will be Dr. Krisztian Magori, Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA. His talk is titled: Disease Ecology and Blood Feeding Arthropods. For more info about Dr. Magori go to: http://kmagori.weebly.com/. Seminars are each Wednesday at noon in FSHN 354 and the AMS dial # is 5709215.
Employment: See attachment for details on these positions.
- Assistant Prof-Row Crop/Hort Crops, Univ. of Florida, Jay, FL
- Postdoc/Ag Entomology & Ecoinformatics, UC-Davis, Davis, CA
- Entomologist, US Dept. of State, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
- AgCenter Research Associate, Louisiana St. Univ., Baton Rouge/Pineville, LA
Important dates to know:
2016 International Congress of Entomology, Sept. 25-30, 2016, Orlando, FL. Website: http://ice2016orlando.org/
Registration is now open for the Fall Pullman Graduate Grant Writing Workshop on Saturday, October 3rd from 9:00-5:00PM. Registration fees are due by September 25th before 3:00PM. Anybody interested in applying to one of the New Graduate Student Prestigious Fellowships should sign up for the New Graduate Student Prestigious Fellowship Workshop on Saturday, September 12th from 9:00-1:00PM. Contact Hannah.email@example.com with any questions.