EGSA Meeting Minutes – September 16th, 2014
Beginning of the Year Potluck. Please sign thank-you note for Dr. Kimsey – he provided the curry spices
Honey Sales – Fall 2014
Alix will discuss scheduling and protocols for how to do this with Jason. We have 200lbs of honey for sale this year. Bottling and labeling should happen before the end of October
- Filter x2,
Signups will be on the fridge – look for an email from Alix
Insect Cinema Cult Classic –
October 24th, 5pm setup, 5:30pm event starts,
- Vote on movies will begin soon, send Alix movie suggestions ASAP
- Kids movies discussed: Beetlejuice (too adult), Honey I Shrunk the Kids, James and the Giant Peach
- A t-shirt has been designed, Alix has emailed the design out
- Need to begin advertising: Flash Flushes, Evergreen, digital signage
Insect Feed –
“Bug Appetite!”: October 25th 9am-2pm, Ensminger Pavilion
- 6+ people need to sign up at all times, signups on fridge, each sign up period is for 2 hours.
- Duties include checking and handing out wristbands, collecting $$, and running stations/displays, dress nicely to serve: at the very least nice jeans and button down or polo shirt
- Other Insect Feed – Rich is happy to have the original Insect Feed event combined with our Insect Expo in the spring. This will be one of the tables we have.
Student Choice Speaker:
- Moving on to Deane Bowers
Letter of support for Taxonomy Hire –
- will be available for signatures shortly
EGSA was invited to host a nocturnal insects exhibit during a “nocturnal animals” event for the Palouse Clearwater Environmental Institute. However, most felt that doing two events in one day (ICCC) would be too much prep work.
- People who are not senators are able to participate in GPSA task forces. For information about task forces, see: http://studentinvolvement.orgsync.com/org/gpsa/Task_Forces
- There is a graduate students only study room in the Terrell library, access via student card swipe: http://studentinvolvement.orgsync.com/org/gpsa/Study_Center
- Senators are able to announce events hosted by affiliate organizations (like EGSA) during senate meetings
- The dates for the Wiley Expo have been set in February
Faculty Meeting Updates:
- Kim Kidwell is currently working on the issue of cooperative credits from U of I being assigned GPA values
- Enrollment in the new courses this semester was high enough
- Ice Cream Social: September 25th, 1-3pm at Ferdinand’s !!!
- GPSA Bowling Night: September 26th, 6-8pm at Zeppoz
- Entomology Colloquium: Erin McCullough and her topic ‘Elaboration and diversification of rhinoceros beetle horns’. Wednesdays at noon in FSHN 103/155. The WECN dial in for all sites is: 5703866. This number will be the same for all colloquium presentations. Please attend!