EGSA Meeting Minutes – October 28th, 2015
Dec 9th: last meeting this semester. Robert is our interim president.
- Courtney to Meg: Are there American Girl Dolls in Canada?
- Insect Feed: Went great! We got crunk on mead.
- Eli & Karol: got Affiliate funding in. Will put together a worksheet on how to do it next year. Anyone in the RSO club can submit funding request. It is a conflict on interest for a GPSA budget committee member to submit the funding request. We asked for $1,500 and it will go directly to our account. They are making us track what we spent our money on and how many people show up to the events.
- Constitution committee: will write GPSA funding rules into constitution.
Eli is heating the honey. Need two to three people for filtering. Will take 2 to 3 hours. Philip will assist. Rachel and Courtney volunteered to help with bottling. Do we have EGSA labels for the honey bottles? We need to find a weird box thing with labels in it.
Email Robbie if you want to help with event.
- Talked to Brent about getting pupae at the appropriate time so they will emerge during our events. For some insects you need a permit and for some you don’t. Helpful to have a permit if you need anything more exotic than Darkling beetles. Can’t transport certain arthropods across state borders w/o permit, including some native insects.
- Eli: maybe we should do a trial run and get more common insects the first year.
Faculty Meeting Update:
- Change from 34 to 15 credits for PhD students is going into effect in a few weeks
- Change your password or you will be locked out of your WSU accounts
- AMS in 164 is being fixed
- Talking about updating the entire AMS system for the department b/c it is 3 years old.
- Nov 12th Strategic Planning Community Forum in the Junior Ballroom. FREE FOOD!
- Presidential Debate Night Tonight at Rico’s.
- Karol has a cool power point on where all the university finances go
- Graduate tuition waivers- we might not get as robust a tuition waiver for fees in the future because they have been scalping us in the past and now it is going back to how it used to be
- GPSA is collecting personal stories from graduate students to send to senators. Topics: student loans, research funding, international visas, access to documents..
- Caleb is designing the tablecloth and it is looking better every day.
- Nobody has asked Jake for honey bottling money yet.
- Select a target date for honey sales for before the holidays
- Everything went well and Wyatt Hoback had a good time. He really liked that he got a chance to talk to everyone.
- Jenny thinks the location and the room was good but the catering wasn’t worth the money
- Consensus that the food was not that good, but it was way cheaper than Black Cypress (about half as expensive)
- Not able to mingle with different people as easily at Black Cyprus
- If we plan further in advance we could book a private room at Swilly’s
- Jake: we have lots of things we want to do and we may not have as much money as we think
- Alix: could ask faculty to chip in on funding
- We can get another $500 if someone is willing to attend a meeting twice a week.
Student Choice Speaker
- Jared wants to arrive March 8th, do colloquium on the 9th, and do a public event on the 10th and leave on the 11th
- We need to think about different options that showcase the best of Pullman. Need a travel authority for speaker. Ask Jane. Use CTA card to purchase flight through the school after the TA is approved.
- Need honey sales advertisements
- Robbie is contacting the Pullman public library to talk about reading days
- Send Rachel insect feed pictures
- Doing a half-day symposium next semester.They will provide a van, housing, and meals.