December 22, 2017
Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Betsy Beers who is the recipient of $6,000. Grant from Arysa Lifescience and a $8,000 grant from ADAMA to work on Support Concerning Insect Control on Tree Fruit. (12/14/2017).
- John Stark is the recipient of a WSU Foundation, Global Corporate Citizenship, Boeing grant of $95,000 to work on Bringing Science Home: Using Research to Create Effective Stormwater management programs- Phase 1. (12/11/2017)
- Walter Sheppard and Brandon Hopkins received $12,120 grant from the USDA/ARS to work on Honey Bee Surveys. (12/7/2017)
- Jeb Owen, Bill Snyder and Rocio Crespo are the recipients of a $458,145 grant from USDA/NIFA to work on An Ecological Approach to Disease Risk Management on Organic Poultry Farms. (11/29/2017)
December holiday reduced operations reminder: WSU Pullman will be closed Monday, December 25, 2017, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, and Monday, January 1, 2018, in observance of University Holidays. December Holiday Reduced Operations will be Wednesday, December 27, 2017 through Friday, December 29, 2017. Most university operations and services will be unavailable during this time. Departments are encouraged to be as flexible as possible when determining schedules during the December Holiday Reduced Operations.
Please refer to the links below for information on the December Holiday Reduced Operations:
- December Holiday Reduced Operations schedule through 2019
- December Holiday Reduced Operations FAQs
Contact HRS with any questions regarding scheduling options.
The Dangerous Goods/Hazardous Materials shipping program will observe the December Holiday Reduced Operations from December 25, until January 2, 2018.
During the December closure, Mailing Services in Pullman has limited staffing. Departmental mail is available for pick-up in the Cooper Publications building from 9-11 a.m. via the back door on the loading dock.
The Washington State University football team has accepted an invitation to play in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, with the kickoff at 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 28. The Cougars will square off against the Michigan State Spartans from the Big Ten Conference. The Cougars are 2-5 all-time against Michigan State, with the last meeting coming in 1977, a 23-21 WSU win in East Lansing. Michigan State (9-3 overall and 7-2 Big Ten) currently is ranked No. 16 and WSU (9-3 overall and 6-3 Pac12) is ranked No. 18 in the College Football Playoff Rankings. For more information, see the WSU Cougars site and the WSU is Bowlbound site. The game will be on TV and streaming: FS1 and FOX Sports Go
Even though the Registrar’s Office will be closed during the University’s Holiday Reduced Operation students will be able to view their grades and order their transcripts. Missing or incorrect grades can create difficulties for students, so we strongly recommend that you send all late grades and grade changes no later than December 20, 2017. Please continue to send late grades and grade changes after the December 20, 2017, but we can’t guarantee that they will be processed before Post Enrollment Requisite Checking (PERC) is run on December 22, 2017. An incorrect grade may cause students to be dropped from Spring 2018 classes because they do not meet the prerequisites, so we encourage you to send change of grades, as well as late grades by December 20, 2017.
The Motor Pool reminds Departments to schedule emissions tests and annual inspections for WSU department-owned vehicles. Emissions tests are required for all 1991 to 2009 WSU vehicles. Annual inspections need to be done on all university-owned vehicles. Contact Chad Hansen at 335-9091, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Brad Hill at 335-9320, email@example.com.
- Plant Protection Specialist, North Dakota St. Government, Bismark, ND
- Research Analyst, Univ. of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Associate Director of Research, Agricenter International, Memphis, TN
- Extension Agent, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- College Research Assistant Professor, New Mexico State Univ., Las Cruces, NM
- Regional Entomologist, Entomological Society of America, Guam