Congratulations to Karol Krey who passed her PhD Preliminary Exam on March 28, 2014. Karol is advised by Bill Snyder.
Congratulations to our Spring Award Winners:
- Entomology Student Support Fund “Research Award”: Ivan Milosavljevic
- Howard and Hermina Hallgarth “Paper of the Year”: Rebecca Schmidt
- Robert and Mary Lou Harwood “Student of the Year Award”: Rebecca Schmidt
Mu Qiao will be taking her MS non-thesis final exam on Monday April 7th at 9:00 AM.
The AMS/WECN dial # is: 5701379. A copy of her journal paper is available in the Entomology Office and on the Entomology SharePoint site for faculty perusal. She is advised by John Stark.
Amber Vinchesi will be doing her final PhD exam on Friday April 11th at 8:30 AM. The AMS/WECN dial number is 5701299. She is advised by Doug Walsh.
Amelia Jordan will be this week’s colloquium presenter on Wednesday, April 2nd. Her talk is titled: A Qualitative Survey of Native Bees n and Near Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Fields in Washington State. The WECN dial # is: 5702026
Global Campus Connections Web Learning Event: Traveling Bugs
Richard Zack, WSU Entomology professor, will present an hour-long webinar on traveling and insects on April 2nd & 9th at 6:00 PM. Bring your sense of adventure, all your crazy questions about bed bugs, fleas, and mosquitoes, and leave armed with extra knowledge to be confident throughout summer vacation. It’s not every day that someone explores the wild-wild west, the exotic beaches of South America, or frolics in the crashing surf of the Ivory Coast. So, if you do have the opportunity, it’s best to be prepared and make the most of your travels! This means protecting yourself and all two-, and four-legged, companions from the dangerous insects that may roam the uncharted territory only you can conquer. This is sponsored by the WSU Global Campus. Rebecca Stull is the coordinator for this event. If you have questions contact her are at: 335-9264 or email@example.com. Learn more and register for this free event here: http://secure.wsu.edu/globalcampus/formtool/Signup/index.castle?formid=13 and http://globalcampus.wsu.edu/
The 18th Annual Insect Cinema Cult Classic will be on Friday, April 4 at 6:00 PM in Todd 276. Showing this year are “Bee Movie” (PG rated) and “Killer Bees” (not rated). Come early and see the beehive display and other insect displays. T-Shirts will be available for purchase. See the design at: http://entomology.wsu.edu/blog/event-annual/cult-classics/.
Lynell Tanigoshi was featured in a WSU News article on March 27th titled New Pest Management Choices for Small-Fruit Growers. To read the article go to: https://news.wsu.edu/2014/03/27/new-pest-management-choices-for-small-fruit-growers/
- Professor & Chair, Entomology & Nematology Dept., Univ. of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Ag, Application Engineering, Extension Specialist, Ag & Natural Res., UC Davis, Davis, CA
- Scientist, entomology and related ecological, Univ. of Minnesota.
- Entomologist, Department of Defense, San Antonio, TX
Events – Save the Dates:
- The next faculty meeting will be on May 2, 2914 at 10:00 AM. WECN/AMS dial in number to come.
- Our Spring Celebration BBQ is set for May 2, 2014 at 12:00 noon. More details to come.
- Unless noted otherwise the 2014 Entomology Colloquium presentations are on Wednesdays in FSHN 354 at 12:10-1:00 PM. The WECN dial # for each presentation is: 5702026.
- The last day to schedule a final exam for May 2014 graduation is Friday, April 11, 2014 and must be submitted 10 day prior to the exam date. The last day to take a final exam for May ’14 graduation is Friday, April 25, 2014. Check with the Entomology Office to make sure rooms are available for the dates you want for your exam.
- Finals week is May 5-9.
- Commencement is Saturday May 10th in Beasley Coliseum at 8:00 AM.
Students scheduled for spring 2014 exams are:
PhD Preliminary Exams are:
- Karol Krey, March 28, 9:30 – 12:00* 5701170
- Adam Strong May 16, 2-5 PM* 5701318
- Megan Taylor, May 9, 8:30 -11:00
- Katharine Buckley, May 5, 12:00-3:30 PM
Final Exams are:
- Brandon Hopkins, PhD, April 18, 12:00 – 4:00 PM 5701380
- Amelia Jordan, MS, April 14, 9:00 – 11:00 AM 5702940
- Mu Qiao, MS non-thesis, March 21, 9-11:00 AM 5701379
- Amber Vinchesi , PhD April 11, 10:00 AM-1:00 PM* 5701299