No colloquium presentation as WSU will be closed November 11 for Veteran’s Day. Thank you to all who have served our country in the US Armed Services.
You are invited to attend the next no-host Lunch and Learn on Friday, November 13th at noon. This week’s subject is understanding and using the Graduate Student health insurance program and learn about the services provided by Health & Wellness Services. We will meet upstairs in Rm. 354. Leslie Stamper is our presenter.
The new Entomology Apparel has arrived. We have a nice range of styles, sizes, colors and pricing. Click on any of the links below to see what an item looks like and know that our logo will go on the item.
The next Entomology Faculty meeting is planned for next Friday, November 13 at 11-12. AMS dial # is 5702631.
Congratulations to recent Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Nicole Rafferty & William Snyder who are the recipients of a $23,515 grant from the British Ecol Society (10/9/15)
- Jeb Owen, William Snyder & Thomas Besser who are the recipients of a $1,994,15 grant from USDA/NIFA/OREI (10/27/15)
- William Snyder; David Crowder; et al., who are the recipients of a $2,688,111 USDA/NAFA (10/26/15)
For more info go to: http://informer.ogrd.wsu.edu/RecentFacultyAwards.aspx
CAHNRS Christmas Holiday Party, December 10th in the Ensminger Pavilion from 4-6 PM.
The CAHNRS Holiday Party committee is asking if departments (faculty/staff/students) would put together a gift basket for the drawings this year. Please work with your unit and see if you can come up with donations that we can raffle off at the holiday party. All donations can be brought to me, by December 3rd, in FSHN 302G. Please pass this information to your faculty/staff/students in your units.
The CAHNRS Office of Research Office is accepting Emerging Research Issues for Washington Agriculture 2015 Grant proposals until November 16th. A Unified Industry-Based Agriculture Initiative funded by the Washington Legislature provides an internal competitive grants program to address emerging issues facing Washington’s agricultural industries. The program funded $1.7 million dollars of research from 2007-2010; abstracts of the funded proposals are available at http://arc.wsu.edu/info/eri/summaries.html and http://arc.wsu.edu/info/eri/summaries-2013.html. The grants program was structured to provide greater responsiveness to emerging research and outreach needs of state agricultural industries. As one measure of its success, projects related to the funded proposals were successful in attracting over $22 million of external support for related projects, over $11 million of which has been or will be spent in Washington. Over time the intent still remains to address emerging issues in Washington Agriculture, however, it has become increasingly important to attract federal support for these issues that complements support from commissions. See attachment for more information.
WSU CAHNRS Networking Opportunity Online Industry Networking
Tuesday, November 27, 6-7 p.m. PST
Join WSU alumni and students from the College of Agricultural, Human and Natural Resource Sciences for a virtual networking event! This is a great opportunity to connect with Cougs in your professional industry, or your desired industry. The event is free, it’s only an hour, and it’s fun! Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to connect with other WSU students and alumni in an online speed-networking forum with convenience and ease. During the event you will be paired with multiple participants for several rounds of timed, text-based chats that will allow you to expand your personal and professional networks. Discussion topics can range from career opportunities to restaurant recommendations – the time is yours, so make the most of it!
Virtual Networking Provides:
-The opportunity to share your experiences
-Exchange of career tips
-Building of your professional network
-The opening to form mutually beneficial relationships
-The chance for Cougs to help Cougs
Visit the registration page to create your account and to register today!
Interim President Daniel J. Bernardo, Ph.D. cordially invites you to the Eleventh Annual Employee Recognition Reception on Wednesday, December 2, 2015 in the CUB M.G. Carey Senior Ballroom on the Pullman campus.
3:30–5:00 p.m.: Recognition Reception: In 2015, more than 600 WSU staff and faculty achieved a length-of-service milestone. Please join your colleagues in honoring the outstanding contributions of University employees to the WSU community. 4:00 p.m.: Recognition Program: Employees who achieved length-of-service milestones during 2015 will be recognized during the brief program. For more information, visit www.employee-recognition.wsu.edu or call Human Resource Services at 509-335-4521. To RSVP go to: http://employee-recognition.wsu.edu/emprecog/los/rsvp.aspx
IMPORTANT DATES TO KNOW:
Nilsa Bosque-Perez wanted to let you all know about this Dissertation Defense seminar at UI that may be of interest to some of you: UNDERSTANDING THE IMPACT OF LAND USE CHANGE ON BEE POPULATIONS AND ECOSYSTEM SERVICES IN THE SEASONALLY DRY TROPICS: AN INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACH, by Sara M. Galbraith, Ph.D. Candidate in Entomology, Monday November 9th 2015 at 8:30 AM PST at UI in Ag Sci 62.
- Grad Students can begin registering for Spring 2016 classes on November 9th.
- Nov. 26 for Thanksgiving Day and Nov. 27 for Native American Heritage Day.
- ESA Annual Meeting is November 15-18, 2015 in Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis, MN. Theme is Synergy in Science: Partnering for Solutions.
- Eleventh Annual Employee Recognition Reception on Wednesday, December 2, 2015 in the CUB M.G. Carey Senior Ballroom on the Pullman campus.
- CAHNRS Christmas Holiday Party, December 10th in the Ensminger Pavilion from 4-6 PM.
- Students: Be sure to check out the WSU Grad School Scholarship page for a list of scholarships. Most have a submittal date of Dec 15, 2015. The link is: http://gradschool.wsu.edu/Scholarships-2016/#Richard
- WSU will be closed December 24 & 25, 2015 for the Christmas Holiday and will be closed December 28-31 except for essential operations.
- Remember, March 1, 2016 will be the deadline for our 2016 Research scholarship applications: “Student of the Year” and “Paper of the Year” award submissions.
- ESA Pacific Branch meetings are April 3-6, 2016 in Honolulu, HI at the Pacific Beach Hotel.
- 2016 International Congress of Entomology, Sept. 25-30, 2016, Orlando, FL. Website: http://ice2016orlando.org/