October 13, 2017
Seminars & Colloquium
The October 16, 2017 Entomology Colloquium speaker will be Dr. Edwin Lewis. His presentation will be at 2:10 PM in FSHN 354 (the Entomology Classroom). Dr. Lewis is the department head and professor in the Department of Entomology, Plant Pathology and Nematology at the University of Idaho. He is also the Co-Director of the Center for Health in the Human Ecosystem at UofI. The title of this week’s presentation is “Movement and infection behaviors of insect-parasitic nematodes: The Story of the Slithering Herd.” For more information about Dr. Lewis go to: https://www.uidaho.edu/cals/entomology-plant-pathology-and-nematology/our-people/edwin-lewis
Please note that the new AMS dial up number for all sites to dial for this event is 771155.
Entomology Department grant awardees:
- Doug Walshis the recipient of a $76,211 grant from the USDA/ARS for the Evaluation and Development of Hop Germplasm for the Washington State Hop Growing Region (9/28/2017).
- David Crowderand Robert Orpet are recipients of a $17,875 grant from Western SARE/USDA/NIFA to work on Assessment of the Positive and Negative Effects of Earwigs in Apple Orchards (10/2/2017).
- Betsy Beersis the recipient of grants from Syngenta Crop Protection in the amount of $13,300 (10/4/2017).
- John Stark is the recipient of a $143,574 from the Dept. of the Interior to work on Biological Effectiveness of Green Stormwater Infrastructure (10/6/2017).
- Doug Walsh; Elizabeth Beers; Carrie Foss; Brandon Hopkins; Drew Lyon; Carol Miles; Michelle Moyer; Kim Patten; Timothy Waters are the recipients of a $272,998 grant from USDA/NIFA for the Washington State IPM Extension Implementation Program 2017-2020 (10/6/2017).
The Student Entertainment Board presents Carnival Night, Oct 13th, from 9 PM – 12 AM and is in the CUB Sr. Ballroom. Come to Carnival Night in the CUB today! There will be acrobats, a roaming magician, a mechanical bull, and more! Free Subway, cotton candy, and popcorn with your name on it. Get there tonight for free food and a good time.
Come join us for good food, drink and to learn about the transformative research that is happening at WSU.
- Extension Coordinator, WSU Extension, Chehalis, WA
- Research Specialist, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Agricultural Stewardship Specialist, Cornell Univ., New York State.
- Assist/Assoc Professor of Arthropod Molecular Systematics, Univ. of Idaho, Moscow
- Postdoc Scholar, Penn St. Univ, University Park, PA
- Postdoc Research Associate, Entomology & Plant Pathology, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Research Assist., Texas A&M AgriLife, College Station, TX
- Technician III, Texas A&M AgriLife, College Station, TX