EGSA Agenda                                                Meeting #5 November 13, at 9:00am

AMS Dial-in: 771545

EVENTS:

Recap:

ESA went great, WSU was well represented in the awards ceremony.

How was the insect feed?

-good attendance; most came during morning session

How was creatures of the night?

-900 attendees!

-U of I entomology booth complemented ours thanks to the separate rooms

Upcoming:

Honey bottling this week. Planning on Dec 1st and Dec 8th for selling dates. How much honey do we have? How much do we sell it for ($$/lb)?

-May take 4-5hrs; 1:15-2:40pm Ben is in class; seem to have enough volunteers; need 4 total at a time; Last year we sold $8 per bottle or $15 for two; Need confirmation with environmental health and safety people; no idea about how much honey there will be; purchased glassware for 250 lbs

-Need flyer (Megan and Rachel) and setup on Coug sync; we can accept cards; still waiting to decide on a date, preferably December 8th

-solidified student choice speakers; two talks; Speaker in February or March to avoid overlap with Cinema Cult Classic

-Alex Wild 1st and….

-Bill may be the contact for next year’s colloquium talks

Officer Reports

President (Adrian)

Club is doing great, thank you all for volunteering for so many events.

Vice President (Ben)

-honey

-books; all new for $1600

-Biocontrol book and group order

 

Treasurer (Joseph)

-Need to talk to Adam for book funds

-GPSA funding application in and awaiting response

-Honey sales money will be directly available in a checking account; may have some restrictions for using it

-Student grant or mini-grant system to fund anything related to research (travel, page charges, etc. w/ a student panel to read over and assess them); could give one out each semester; need to figure out more about how we pick the panel, how much we reward, etc.

 

Secretary (Alix)

-out of town

 

GPSA-funding report (Kunle)

-New tax waiver where we may have to pay tax on our tuition waiver

-GPSA has phone lines for us to contact our local representatives

Primary Committee Reports

  • Advertising (Rachel: Megan): Going to work on Honey advertisement in next few days (December 1st and 8th, while supplies last)
  • Faculty Liason (Rachel): Tomorrow is fiscal year planning meeting
  • Merchandise (Abigail: Robert): Patches: need to decide how much to order (200 for $300, cost use $1.50 and will sell for $3.00); Calendars (insect mating theme): want to send out template and final photo selection by Thanksgiving, Robert knows a guy for sharing mating photos with Arizona; close orders after a week or two to have them sent out by finals week, sell for $10 each
  • Outreach (Abbey: Dane, Maggie): Creatures of the Night went well; no plans until Insect Fest in April; Ben with USB full of lessons to Coug Sync; Waiting for Live Insect Zoo
  • Social (Olivia, Leisl): Today was our coffee and doughnuts; Metanalysis group going well; friendsgiving on Thanksgiving at Abigails (email her to RSVP; there will be turkey and ox-tail stew)

Ad Hawk Committee Reports

  • Debates Team (Kunle): Need to finish revisions; great job for winning first!
  • Herma Memorial (Alix: Rachel, Jessa): Waiting on Adam
  • Library Team (Olivia: Ben): Have book list
  • Linnaean Games (Alix): Texas A&M undergrads blew us out of the water; undergrads have more time; we should incorporate some undergrads in our group to provide them with opportunities to attend conferences and prep for grad school; mentorship program, but not necessarily with the students who work for us
  • Meta-analysis (Olivia): Doing well, collaborating with Christina
  • Student Retreat (Maggie): Looking for hot springs; maybe going to be during the first two months of Spring semester
  • Writing Club (Alix): Email crilly@wsu.edu if you want links to manuscripts
  • Career Fair: contact Ben for the networking opportunity

Next meeting: Monday November 27th at 9am