EGSA Agenda Meeting #5 November 13, at 9:00am
AMS Dial-in: 771545
ESA went great, WSU was well represented in the awards ceremony.
How was the insect feed?
-good attendance; most came during morning session
How was creatures of the night?
-U of I entomology booth complemented ours thanks to the separate rooms
Honey bottling this week. Planning on Dec 1st and Dec 8th for selling dates. How much honey do we have? How much do we sell it for ($$/lb)?
-May take 4-5hrs; 1:15-2:40pm Ben is in class; seem to have enough volunteers; need 4 total at a time; Last year we sold $8 per bottle or $15 for two; Need confirmation with environmental health and safety people; no idea about how much honey there will be; purchased glassware for 250 lbs
-Need flyer (Megan and Rachel) and setup on Coug sync; we can accept cards; still waiting to decide on a date, preferably December 8th
-solidified student choice speakers; two talks; Speaker in February or March to avoid overlap with Cinema Cult Classic
-Alex Wild 1st and….
-Bill may be the contact for next year’s colloquium talks
Club is doing great, thank you all for volunteering for so many events.
Vice President (Ben)
-books; all new for $1600
-Biocontrol book and group order
-Need to talk to Adam for book funds
-GPSA funding application in and awaiting response
-Honey sales money will be directly available in a checking account; may have some restrictions for using it
-Student grant or mini-grant system to fund anything related to research (travel, page charges, etc. w/ a student panel to read over and assess them); could give one out each semester; need to figure out more about how we pick the panel, how much we reward, etc.
-out of town
GPSA-funding report (Kunle)
-New tax waiver where we may have to pay tax on our tuition waiver
-GPSA has phone lines for us to contact our local representatives
Primary Committee Reports
- Advertising (Rachel: Megan): Going to work on Honey advertisement in next few days (December 1st and 8th, while supplies last)
- Faculty Liason (Rachel): Tomorrow is fiscal year planning meeting
- Merchandise (Abigail: Robert): Patches: need to decide how much to order (200 for $300, cost use $1.50 and will sell for $3.00); Calendars (insect mating theme): want to send out template and final photo selection by Thanksgiving, Robert knows a guy for sharing mating photos with Arizona; close orders after a week or two to have them sent out by finals week, sell for $10 each
- Outreach (Abbey: Dane, Maggie): Creatures of the Night went well; no plans until Insect Fest in April; Ben with USB full of lessons to Coug Sync; Waiting for Live Insect Zoo
- Social (Olivia, Leisl): Today was our coffee and doughnuts; Metanalysis group going well; friendsgiving on Thanksgiving at Abigails (email her to RSVP; there will be turkey and ox-tail stew)
Ad Hawk Committee Reports
- Debates Team (Kunle): Need to finish revisions; great job for winning first!
- Herma Memorial (Alix: Rachel, Jessa): Waiting on Adam
- Library Team (Olivia: Ben): Have book list
- Linnaean Games (Alix): Texas A&M undergrads blew us out of the water; undergrads have more time; we should incorporate some undergrads in our group to provide them with opportunities to attend conferences and prep for grad school; mentorship program, but not necessarily with the students who work for us
- Meta-analysis (Olivia): Doing well, collaborating with Christina
- Student Retreat (Maggie): Looking for hot springs; maybe going to be during the first two months of Spring semester
- Writing Club (Alix): Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want links to manuscripts
- Career Fair: contact Ben for the networking opportunity
Next meeting: Monday November 27th at 9am