Featured Image Above by Megan Asche
2017-2018 EGSA Officers:
PRESIDENT – Adrian Marshall
VICE PRESIDENT – Ben Lee
TREASURER – Joseph Taylor
SECRETARY – Alix Whitener
FACULTY LIAISON – Rachel Olsson
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR – Abbey Hayes
Check out upcoming events for EGSA on EGSA’s Google calendar.
EGSA Minutes Meeting #15 May 4, at 9:00am AMS Dial-in: 772416 Phone Dial-in (509) 358-7935 meeting ID: 2416 In attendance: Adrian, Robert, Abbey, Megan, Dane, Rachel, Joseph, Abigail, Kunle, Robert (acting secretary)
EventsPBESA June 10-13. Would students be interested in using a department van to carpool to Reno? Ask Megan Asche to join van she will send an email New officers- President: Megan Asche Vice President: Joseph Taylor Secretary: James Helper Treasurer: Abigail Cohen Faculty Liaison: Liesl Oeller Communications Director: Abbey Club Advisor: Dr. Zack BUGSS Update: Mark Schwarzland is UI contact for university guest speaker vent. There was some confusion this year. Dave is WSU speaker. UI and WSU students will co-organize a guest speaker. One faculty and student will be on committee for each school. WSU: Crowder, Abbey and Abigail. Goal is to do event in Fall, but might be spring. I would invite a high profile speaker that will attract school of biological science department memebers.
Officer ReportsPresident (Adrian) I will be working on transitioning the new officers onto CougSync. Thank you all for helping this club run as efficiently as possible, it has been a great year. Vice President (Ben) Not present Treasurer (Joseph) GPSA is slow at updating funding but our club account is doing just fine. Dr. Zack donated some boxes for making displays. Kunle says we got funding Secretary (Alix) GPSA (Kunle) Kunle suggests that Josh M (our new rep) has a person in Pullman to attend meetings. Joseph volunteered It is good for students to attend PDI events Abbey is going to communicate with the extension person who spoke at colloquium to make a database of grid research, interests, so they can solicit speakers for public talks Kunle reports EGSA received funding. Not many groups got funding this year, meaning we are awesome. The packet was good- we followed instructions. Faculty Liason (Rachel) Laura Lavine is interim chair (announced by Dean) for 2 years because the dean recognized “division” in the department. Laura starts July 1st, Steve stays on until August, so there is overlap. Two new students, both will be in Pullman In August We are not getting the spousal hire after all Good luck Liesl Communications Director (Abbey) We are making a twitter and Instagram May 12th garden community fair, EGSA will be there
Primary Committee Reports
- Advertising (Rachel: Megan): na
- Merchandise (Abigail: Robert): Rachel will join merch committee
- Social (Olivia, Leisl): Updates through Adrian, May 11 Zeppoz
- Debate team (Ben: Abbey, Abigail, Jim, Adrian)- The team is occurring
- Library: Please check out books and allow people that are taking prelims privacy
- Meta team
- Mini grants: Sent applications
- Linnean games: practices continue
Good of the OrderJeb Owen wants greater participation in Art/Sci over the summer so email him if interested. Megan says it’s fun. If you’re interested in giving an elevator speech at PBESA contact Kunle
EGSA Minutes Meeting #14 April 20, at 9:00am AMS Dial-in: 772416 Phone Dial-in (509) 358-7935 meeting ID: 2416
EventsRecap - ICCC and Insect Expo: Great job everyone, and thank you for all of the help! Insect Expo went great and had many attractions for the attendees. ICCC: Estimating approximately 30 people attending, with 22 who were NOT ENTOMOLOGISTS ! Insect Expo: Ran out of fossil stuff. Some people drove all the way from Spokane to attend! 200-250 estimated to attend.
- Paul Catts: Doughnuts and coffee with students after this meeting and another talk @ 11:00am (FSHN Pullman).
Officer ReportsPresident (Adrian)
- Nominations for officers are closed and voting is open. Follow link below and only vote once for each position. Voting closes Wednesday (4/25/18) and 2 officers will need to attend RSO officer training either Thursday or Friday at 8am in TODD 320.
- How much we want to have carry over into next year? Revenue tied to honey – more honey in the last few years has been helping our budget. Books, live arthropods, etc have helped us use our money. Similar carry-over this year to last year despite these expenses. $2500 to Herma Memorial would still keep our budget at a good carry-over level.
- Mini-grants could be a good annual expense – discussed later at this meeting.
- Tabling at National and Branch meetings
- Undergraduate involvement?
- Josh is our new GPSA representative after this meeting!
- 5% budget cut all around (if you have questions ask Joseph!)
- Travel grants for summer are currently open – check it out! Approval from advisor needed.
- May 12th Pullman Community Fair – look for updates soon
- Summer display boxes and educational materials – 12 ideas for highlighting arthropod definition. Pollination syndrome boxes, insect special ability box, defense displays, etc. Instagram and twitter for WSU Arthropods – can help with communication. We could have the community ask us to show up in classrooms etc. Could be a good outlet for people who no longer want their arthropod pets!
- UI graduate student meeting: 6-7pm on Tuesdays. BUGSS: get revamped?! Faculty + students on the committee.
Primary Committee Reports
- Advertising (Rachel: Megan): na
- Merchandise (Abigail: Robert): Pollinator mix seeds – possible have by May or June? Want NATIVE PNW seeds. T-shirts coming up with a call for designs?
- Social (Olivia, Leisl):
- Entom-Prom is figured out!
- Saturday April 28 – Bowling Happy Hour at 6pm
- Doughnuts and Coffee today = end of semester
- Mini-Grants: Motion passed!
- Herma Memorial (Alix: Rachel, Jessa): $2500 donation from EGSA – motion passed! Thank you all for your support!
- Library Team (Olivia: Ben): Complete!
- Linnaean Games (Jim): Roster all set, but PB-ESA is going to be lightly attended for Linnaean games. Megan is digitizing over 1800 LG questions!! She rocks!
- Elevator Talks: Trying to get 2 volunteers from each school to participate in and event: elevator talks + impromptu public speaking.
- Meta-analysis (Olivia): Going well but slightly behind – Dave is helping with an abstract and things are moving along. Hoping to submit by mid-June. Local level analysis for next year?
- Prelim study (Olivia): Megan and Abbey will be leading next semesters’ charge! Quizlet Linnaean Games flashcards are good practice as well.
- Writing Club (Alix): Who wants to take this over? Maybe BEN!
- ESA Debate team: Ben (captain) + Abbey, Abigail, Adrian, Jimmy, and maybe a Canadian team member – topics will be assigned June 1st
Good of the OrderNext and final meeting: Monday May 4th at 9am
EGSA Minutes Meeting #13 April 6, at 9:00am AMS Dial-in: 772416 Phone Dial-in (509) 358-7935 meeting ID: 2416 Adrian, Robert, Megan, Jim, Dane, Abbey, Alix, Josh, Joseph, Olivia, Liesl, Ben, Kunle, Abigail
Events:ICCC: Tonight Todd Hall 276 @ 5:30pm – 4:30-5 to help set up, there will be popcorn! Insect Expo: Tomorrow @ 9:00am-3:00pm, Ensminger Pavilion – look for an email reminder, Abbey + Megan will get key and bring everything over, setup at Ensminger at 9am, cleanup at 2pm
- Paul Catts: Dr. Rufus Isaacs (MSU) April 19th @ 5:30pm (Moscow) and April 20th @11:00am (FSHN Pullman) – see flyer in email
Officer ReportsPresident (Adrian)
- Opening nominations for officers as well as new faculty advisor at googledoc below. Will close in one week.
- If there are multiple nominations, write up a small bio
- Faculty advisor: Currently Jeb Owen, maybe ask for a stronger relationship with the faculty via the Faculty Liaison and Advisor? At next meeting, ask anyone who is interested in a more robust role with our club.
- Committee shuffle! Let Adrian know which committees you’re interested in!
- We’re have approximately $5000
- We have a good deal of fundraising with our merch, honey sales, everything has been very stable
- Joseph will bring a year-end report for the last few years to see where we typically stand financially, then we will make a decision on how much to provide for the Herma Memorial. We need $5000 total for the bench.
- Community Garden Fair in Pullman May 12th
- Pollinator education and advertise for bee hotels
Primary Committee Reports
- Advertising (Rachel: Megan): See flyers all over! They look great! It’s also free! ? Christine’s facebook posts are a hit, photos each Friday
- Merchandise (Abigail: Robert): Seed packets are on the docket
- Social (Olivia, Leisl): Entom Prom! Coffee-Donut hour while Rufus Isaacs is here would be nice, working on the date. April Happy Hour for Bowling at Zeppos the 28th of April.
- Herma Memorial (Alix: Rachel, Jessa): See above
- Library Team (Olivia: Ben): G
- Linnaean Games (Jim): Linnaean Games Question Bank – there isn’t one! Make your own! Could digitize the binder/garbage bag questions (THANK YOU MEGAN!). 5 Linnaean Games team members: 4 competitors and one alternate – alternate should record questions.
- Meta-analysis (Olivia): Going well but slightly behind. Will submit to Nature Sustainability. Next year: enhance current data set and look at local diversification yield impacts
- Prelim study (Olivia): Done for the year!
- Writing Club (Alix): Email email@example.com if you want links to manuscripts
Good of the OrderLast night’s event: Inclusiveness and Diversity – Publishing – Blog is a nice opportunity for students – Wanted more information on SAC involvement – Volunteer opportunities hard to get for pacific coast people Doug Walsh has a student visiting soon – Kunle will communicate African night Saturday night! During ICCC but starts at 4pm! Next meeting: Monday April 20th at 9am
EGSA Agenda Meeting #12 March 23, at 9:00am AMS Dial-in: 772416 Phone Dial-in (509) 358-7935 meeting ID: 2416 Adrian, Alix, Jim, Abigail, Liesl, Rachel, Megan, Abbey, Olivia, Melanie, Ben
Events:ICCC: April 6th Todd Hall 276 – Update from Dane: Doors open at 5:30pm, film starting at 6pm. ‘The Deadly Mantis’ (1957 – supposedly family friendly?) followed by ‘The Thaw’ (2009 – Recent Movie). Advert is covered, we’re all set! Word of mouth to UI and others. Radio Station advertisement KQQQ and NPR. Museum opening that same night. Insect Expo: April 7th 9:00am-3:00pm, Ensminger Pavilion – Poster for Insect Expo (Joint Marketing for Insect Expo and ICCC). Signup sheet: 9-12pm signed up, but other slots are open. 12-3pm empty. During the local elementary school spring break, but send info to Jeb to advertise to local schools. Peach Jar: Pullman School District posts flyers (free!). GPSA Approved our event.
- Paul Catts: Dr. Rufus Isaacs (MSU) April 19th @ 5:00pm (Moscow – 1912 Center) and April 20th @11:00am (FSHN Pullman) – Dinner at Hunga Dunga at 6:30 April 19th – Lunch with Graduate Students on April 20th.
Officer ReportsPresident (Adrian)
- Opening nominations for officers at next meeting as well as new faculty advisor
- Mini Grants (Olivia) – 3 per semester, winners are on the awards panel for the following year. $100 each, but $600 per year. Application in email from Olivia – based on: dissertation or side project? If you’re funded or not. Scholarly merit.
- $1000 asked for this round – for honey jars, cavity nests for bees in the fall
Primary Committee Reports
- Advertising (Rachel: Megan):
- Merchandise (Abigail: Robert): Seed Packets to come
- Social (Olivia, Leisl): 4th April 9am donuts! May coffee hour may move – TBD. Happy hour 24th 10 am Mimosa Brunch!!! Sunday 25th – egg coloring + Moscow Mules (with peeps!) at 3pm at Olivia’s.
- Herma Memorial (Alix: Rachel, Jessa): Update next week as far as how much our club will donate.
- Library Team (Olivia: Ben): All books but one in the bookshelf on 2nd Will move to the 3rd floor in the big graduate office or live arthropod room.
- Linnaean Games (Jim): Meetings are happening with good attendance, team is: Abbey, Dane, Jim, Megan, Adrian and Liesl.
- Meta-analysis (Olivia): Analysis is going well
- Prelim study (Abigail): Practices are helpful, a few more coming up. Ben’s on Tuesday.
- Writing Club (Alix): Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be the contact person for this
EGSA Feb 23, 2018Attendees: Adrian, Jimmy, Robert, Abigail, Ben, Dane, Abbey, Kunle, Olivia, Joseph, Megan, Liesl
EVENTSSCS itinerary --He comes a week from Monday --Link to a googledoc to sign up for meetings and meals https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cB-ZbP7LRjQnB6BE8ax9aZogiN-BLjTycm6OiguoNI4/edit --Feel free to sign up to slots to double-up student meetings --Dinner can have 5 attendees ICCC --Date: Friday April 6 (day before Insect Expo; a ‘big bug weekend’ --Location: Todd Hall 276 Expo --Sign-up sheets soon --10 to 2 PM Emsminger --activities: face painting, coloring, roach racing, grow your own beetle, NEW-fossil making,
Officer ReportsAdrian: nothing Ben: PBESA is worried about meeting attendance because it during field season. They have increased the student travel awards to incentivize attendance. Perhaps there will be student drink tickets too. Ben with others is planning student career event. Event will be 5 minute spiels by people with jobs, followed by questions. If you know someone with a job who is going, it is not a big commitment and you could ask them to present at it. Joseph: we are not paying for SCS hotel because Dr. Zack is hosting. Planning to get purchase orders for meals with students. If you want to buy anything, such as terrariums, we can buy it. Alix: not present Kunle: most of GPSA news is in our common emails from WSU or Dept. It costs a lot of money to maintain buildings. Kunle is disappointed that research stations do not get new buildings, have old buildings. There will be a vote during GPSA elections to make undergrads pay $5 a year to pay for Daily Evergreen. GPSA needs 15,000$ to keep 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM hours ??? Volunteers needed for GPSA research expo. Apply to run for GPSA.
Committee ReportsAds: Faculty Liason: Faculty received a “Hyde endowment” which will pay for our fees, starting next year. This may save use a couple thousand dollars a year. Merch: we could sell things /giveaway things at Insect Expo and ICCC. Outreach Socialization:
- gambling, bowling, and surprisingly good food at Zeppo’s. Broad support for Zeppo’s.
- University of Idaho has a social movie night, request info from Abbey.
- Donuts March 7 (first Wednesday of March)
- EntomProm: Saturday of E. P. Catts. Probably will rent upstairs of Etsy Bravo again, and dinner.
- Ben is busy, and studying, so minimal progress. Olivia and Joseph volunteered to take over and order books.
- There was a doodle poll. Dr. Zack will be coach. Thurs 1-2PM will be the time.
- Megan will get the list of questions from Dr. Zack so we can “extract” it when Dr. Zack can’t attend
- Kunle suggests creation of a digital database of practice materials
- Going pretty well. Moving from data collection to statistical analysis and writing of things which can be written. Goal to finish draft by end of semester
- Sessions continue.
Good of the OrderKunle: Debate team for ESA. Kunle is helping to organize. Think about if you want to be on the team. Kunle: SCS could be a good event to get closer to University of Idaho. We should include them in coffee hour, talks, etc. Kunle: suggests that a student close to graduating join the hiring committees for new faculty to gain valuable experience. Rachel brought this up at faculty meeting.
Future Events--next meeting Monday March 9, 9AM --March, outreach event --Idea: collaborate with Idaho to make solitary bee nesting boxes and sell them / charge to have a workshop where people build them. Timing: spring?
Action Items--Dane will request giant rolls of tickets from Dr. Sheppard --Dane will look into putting ad in Mom’s day weekend flyer for ICCC
EGSA Minutes Meeting #8 26 January, 2018 at 9:00amAMS Dial-in: 772416 Phone Dial-in (509) 358-7935 meeting ID: 2416
Upcoming events:Student Choice Speaker – March 4th: Evening talk about naturalism of Guatemala, Tuesday hike + student meetings; Alix will cover expenses and get reimbursed Insect Cinema Cult Classic: Liason to Dr. Sheppard: Dane and Melanie Insect Expo – April 7th all day: Abbey has live-arthropod information, more info soon E. Paul Catts Memorial Lecture: April 19/20
- Dually hosted with UI, Speaker Rufus Isaacs
- Public talk Thursday at 5:30 in 1912 Center in Moscow (dinner and drinks)
- Entomology only talk Friday at 11am in Pullman T101
Officer ReportsBen – library is coming along
- Donations from faculty? Lending? USB Files for a borrowed drive
- TFREC Faculty Position: Tobin will be joining the Wenatchee TFREC!
- Search committee for systematics position has started, complete next year
- Expect 30-min talks from faculty chair candidates sometime mid-February
- Teaching opportunity in summer – see email from Rachel
- Very few applicants for PhD and MS positions – encourage your friends and interested undergrads to come to WSU!
- 57 Calendars purchased, only have 16 left! Will be for sale for $8 ($2 off)
- Shirts – Jim Hepler has joined Merch Committee to make this happen
- Patches! For sale for $3. They are COOL!
- Happy hour: February bowling
- Meta-analysis Group: Data extracted by February 28th, meeting Wednesdays 3-4:15pm
- Prelim Group: Tuesday at 9-10am FSHN 164
- Linnaean Games: email Jim if interested
- Writing Group: email Alix if you have manuscripts ready for feedback